What do you do to entertain kids on long car trips?

We are taking our three kids- ages, 6, 4, 3, and 19 mos. to visit my husband's grandparents tomorrow. They live three hours away. We do not have a DVD player or any of that jazz. What do you do to entertain kids on a car trip? They may not be awake for the whole trip, as we are leaving early... but I plan on them being awake at least half the trip.

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 8:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Travel

• I pack a few snacks in ziploc baggies, and a few drinks. I pack a few books. When they were smaller, I took one toy per child (their choice). But mostly I didn't. We would often go on long car trips to visit family - anywhere from 8 to 12 hours, depending on who we were visiting - and mainly we would talk, play "I spy" games, read the street signs, look for certain billboards, and look at the scenery. I hate all that "need a tv in the car" nonsense - travel can be a great adventure, unless we're not really seeing where we're traveling and not really learning anything at all.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 8:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• DVD player, leapster, DS, playing road trip games, sing songs

Happy Friday and I hope you have a safe trip.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• we have cheap hand held games forthe kids and about thirty books they don't get crayons cuz they color on the windows. they also take one toy each and we pack light snacks and drinks.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Coloring Books, Reading Books, "I Spy" books, a magnet board and magnets. A dry erase board and markers. Felt cutouts to make a story on said boards. Finger puppets. Their favorite kind of music.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• color books and activities when they were little, older kids, Gameboys, Nintendo DSes.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We do audio books. Since you have mostly little ones, I would try to find a good anthology of short stories, which will be easier for them to follow. We also play "I Spy" sometimes, but that has a shorter longevity.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 8:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• oh ya, we did portable DVD players, CD players, too
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• coloring books, i can't read in a car, it gives me a bad headache and makes my stomach upset, so no books. Snacks, card games for them to play. What we mostly always did was sing-a-longs, honestly. They were fun to try and keep up with (there was an old lady that swallowed a fly, theres a hole in the bottom of the sea, that sort of thing) and we did it as a family!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 9:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My kids like to play their hand-held video games (nintendo DS), and the other one (sp or xp-- whichever it is). The other one also has videos available- the little one likes watching those.
    On long trips I would get a 'fun box' and put little toys, trinkets, snacks, color books, stickers, magnetic games in it. The kids liked seeing what was in it and playing with the different things.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• books, video games, movies, hot wheels for the boys, dolls for girls
    queen.bee

Answer by queen.bee at 12:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2010