How to deal with a gossiping & very rude co-worker?

I work with a "girl" who is about 12 yrs younger than I. She is very rude, unfriendly, never has anything good to say about anyone(even bashes her friends). We all have to work as a team and it's very frustrating trying to maintain a PMA while I am there. She also uses her height as a way to push people around(i'm 5'1") Shes almost 6'. She loves to spread rumors about all of us, especially me. i'm too old for this drama crap at work! any suggestions?

My3RaysofSun

Asked by My3RaysofSun at 8:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• can a supervisor or an HR person help?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• NO! They are all afraid to stand up to her, even the owner!!!???? Can u believe that?
    My3RaysofSun

Comment by My3RaysofSun (original poster) at 8:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• try to have fun with normal co workers
    plant a super unreal obvisous fake story and see how far it goes
    let her hang herself?
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• maybe if she was caught gossipping about the owner, the owner may feel differently??
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Maybe if everyone ignores her like she's not there, she'd get the hint
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If I were you, I would completely ignore her. Spend time with others on your team. If she says anything to you about it, tell her that her negativity just brings you down too much.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ugh I am in the same boat! What I did is started documenting everything that happened. After a few months I composed a letter detailing some of the incidents. I wasn't expecting anything to be done, but at least it was on file with HR. It's hard to ignore that stuff - I feel for you!!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:14 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Wow! I had a similar situation around a 2 years ago honey, so I definately know how it can be a headache and stress just to wake up every morning knowing you will have to be around that one person. I prayed hard about it. This person was just a miserable person and I tried going to my boss, and her boss, and I also tried talkng with the lady one on one to see if everything was all right and she acted like nothing in the world was the matter. My situation was so bad because she would make up lies about me and would never help me, so I had no choice but to leave. I was introduced to a health and wellness company and have been doing a home based business every since and I am so thankful to God for blessing me and answering my prayers because my family needed my income, so i couldn't just wuit with nothing in place. ha! I will be thinking of you and praying because I know how hard it can be to tolerate people like that!
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 9:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Most bullies stop if you stand up to them. If everyone else is afraid to, then it's up to you.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Giver her a nickname and have everyone call her that - but so it is funny. Use humor to deflect the negative situations.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010