How can I get my daughter to sleep better at night?

My 2 year old daughter has never given me problems with going to bed before... then all of a sudden this last week, she is afraid of the dark. She won't go to bed without the hall light on, and if we turn it off after she falls asleep she will wake up within an hour crying. What do I do? I don't really want to leave lights on all night... She has no problem taking naps during the day.. so I know it's not because she's afraid of being alone or afraid of her room... it's just at night...

LTryon

Asked by LTryon at 3:55 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You could try a night light.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I am having the same problem with my 2 1/2 year old. He was always a good sleeper until about 2 weeks ago. He wants the night light on, the hall light on, and now he even wants the door fully open. He has been waking 2-3 times a night screaming for me....The only thing I can think of is that it is just a phase that toddlers go through and they start to sense fear and anxiety a little more now...I hope you get some other opinions because I am interested in knowing as well.
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Ok, I think we may have figured out why she's not been sleeping... she woke up this morning with a horrible cold... hopefully after it runs it's course she will sleep better.... I'll be back if she don't...lol
    LTryon

Answer by LTryon at 11:05 AM on Oct. 13, 2008