What should this cops punishment be?

After three days of denying that one of their own could be so stonehearted, the New York Police Department admitted that a uniformed officer indeed stopped a desperate mother as she rushed her dying daughter to a nearby hospital.

Witnesses say the cop refused the 11-year-old Brooklyn girl CPR and blocked her frantic mother's car with his own squad car as she tried to rush the asthmatic girl to the hospital on Sunday.

On Tuesday evening, Police Officer Olfonso Mendez, 30, was forced to turn over his gun and shield and was suspended without pay for his role in a traffic stop that may have resulted in the death of Briana Ojeda, police said.

Police said the incident was "still under investigation." Mendez is expected to face administrative charges of failing to take proper action and report the incident, but he has not been charged with a crime.

What do you think should happen, if anything?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Short of a time machine, i'm not sure there is anything that would make anyone feel better about this.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is stated in the article that all NYPD officers know CPR.......therefore he was most likely trained in it. Since he was being a complete ass and refusing to do it......and since he would not let the mother take her to the hospital he should be charged with involuntary manslaughter. He might of been doing his job BUT his job is also to protect victims and innocents......since the girl was the innocent he should of protected her. If he isn't charged he needs to at least lose his job......although that doesn't really seem like a big enough punishment for someone that swore to protect people and then did everything to prevent that innocent child from getting to the hospital.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If all the witness back up the mothers story, then I think at most would be involutentary manslaughter. But most certainly needs to loose his badge
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I get the fact that she was wrong in going the wrong way, and in hitting the parked car. Should he have pulled her over? Yes! Should he have immediately called 911 or given her a police escort to the hospital when he saw what the situation was? Yes!!!!! I honestly do not see how him doing either would have interfered in "justice" being done. And last time I checked, the punishment for traffic crimes was not to have to watch your children die!!!!!!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:16 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• All cops know CPR, are you kidding me? Even the dispatchers know it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• At a minimum he should be charged with murder.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If he is certified in CPR and he refused to give it to the little girl he committed a crime. I don't know what he should be charged with but, in the very least he should loose his job and not be able to work with the public again.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• This happened not too far from where I live even though I live in Jersey. It was all over the news channels. I shed a tear so fast when her grandmother said the last thing she told me is that everyone in my class loves me and I love them grandma. The showed the jerk answering the door and then closing it to reporters. I hope he gets fired permanetly and gets psychological help in jail for a very long time.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• That it even happened is bad enough, but the defense of that monster is unbelievable.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• either way...if he did give the girl cpr and she died from him GIVING they would still have his ass.

Nope, they can't sue or fire him for his trying to help. All he had to do was let the mother go to the hospital like she was trying, he was being high and mighty and wasn't going to let her go anywhere. Asthma attacks are very dangerous and a child can be saved if they get help soon enough, he got in the way of her getting help, if he can't use better judgement than that he doesn't need to be working around people. It is against the law for someone who knows CPR to deny helping someone in trouble. Especially a cop. He should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:19 AM on Sep. 3, 2010