She won't quit getting out

I have two dogs one lab and one german sheperd. The lab has turned into an escape artist over the past year. We have a wooden fence and she keeps literally chewing through the fence. I had put chicken wire on the fence and that helped a little but I would still catch her trying to chew on it and pawing at it. Had to take it down. Switching out the fence isn't an option since we live in military housing. She hates staying inside all the time. And she is played with every day. I don't want to get rid of my dog but every time she gets out and is picked up by animal control its a $100 fine. And they can forbid us from ever having dogs in base housing again. I am worried that since she has gotten a taste of running "free" she is going to keep doing this. Thoughts????

mosarmywife

Asked by mosarmywife at 4:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pets

• Do you have a place you can put up a dog run? I had a problem with one of my dogs a few years ago. Putting her on a dog run helped, but then she started bolting out when ever the door opened, which with kids was all the time. I ended up finding her a home on a dead end street in the boonies and she's now as happy as can be. We see her about once a month and know she's doing good. I would try the run first and see if that will solve the problem.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I too was going to suggest the dog run. It worked with our dog. He was still outside and able to run inside his fenced in yard. He did not seem to notice the difference.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 4:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• that is also my suggestion. my sister has an escape artist as well.. and alaskan malimute mix w grey timber wolf. she has her dog on a run and that did fix her problem. and that way you're dog will still get the exercise he/she needs.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• If you werent in base housing i would suggest putting up an electric fence; it worked wonders for our huskies who were escape artists but i dont think you can do that on base. A dog run sounds like your best bet.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Don't know why you can't hot wire the fence. It requires a roll of wire and an adapter. you can put it on the inside of the wooden fence. I did this for a friend who has 3 labs. They were going over the fence. When we put it up it only took 2 times for them to go near the fence. Then she turned it off cause they were not going to go near the fence. Since then, her dogs stay inside the boundariesand has left the fence alone. The feed store has everything you need and it is easy to install. It is a temporary solution for a serious problem. My friend has had no problems since this has been done.  Ck it out. It's a great way to teach them to leave the fence alone. It won't hurt them but will get thier attention! Good luck and God Bless.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Take her for a long walk now and then and get ask the vet if spaying her will make her hormones calm her down (like they say for male animals who wander) give her lots of chew toys that are big like giant rawhide bones and those booda rope bones...throw a ball around back there and if she's receptive see if a tether ball pole will keep her busy. Put a sand box out there for her to dig in if she'll do it. Maybe spending that 100.00 on an obediance class if you can? If she's that much a part of the family, think of her as a hyper child who needs to refocus the energy...otherwise, find her a home where they want to go hiking and running and stuff...
    Momchipomkids

Answer by Momchipomkids at 12:22 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I can't put her on a run without special permission from the miltiary and I have to check the regs on hotwiring my fence ... the joys of base housing. The obediance class suggestion I haven't considered didn't realize a class would do anything to help this situation. I admit I am not able to walk her as often as I would like or for as long I would like. She does get the giant bones but goes thru one in about two hours. I have tried to get that dog interested in playing ball and nothing but everyday when my daughters come home from school they run the dogs all over the yard for a while. She is currently MIA since yesterday morning I am betting Animal Control picked her up but they don't answer the phones on the weekends so gonna check with them first thing tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions keep them coming
    mosarmywife

Answer by mosarmywife at 12:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have the same problem my fence is 4 feet high and one of my dogs is 20 terrier and she keeps jumping out everynight and in the morning she's at the front porch waiting to get in she comes in with her tail under her butt and crawls all the way out...im going to have to get a different fence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• What is a run? My dog is a pomeranian/mini american eskimo dog and she loves to escape. Luckily she has her tags on her and she usually stays close by so when we can she is there. But I think it's cause get get lucky with the timing. We have this bamboo fence from Target that keeps her from getting under the fence. It usually work, until it falls down. We are planning on cutting it so it just runs under the entire fence.
    tmm89

Answer by tmm89 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My dog has the same problem with my germen shepherd, I bought an underground electric fence from ebay (like maybe just at a 100 dollars) and it works really good. It has an adapter that hooks to the wall and wire that you bury a little under the ground along your fence and a dog wears a collar around his neck when he gets close to the boundary it beeps and if he keeps going it gives a little shock. I have to keep my on because my dog has learned if it doesn't beep it will not shock.
    Anonymous