Australian couple's baby told dead but actually alive. God or Science?

I was watching the Today Show, an Australian couple had premature twins (boy and girl) The girl made it however the couple were told that that their son died. The child was given to the parents to "come to terms" with their son's death. The mother laid the baby on her bare chest. She began to hear gaging. The dr said that it was just reflexes. The medical personnel were supposed to come and get the child but there were delays. So she ended up keeping her baby for 2 hours in which time the baby slowly began to move, suck and finally opened his eyes. The dr refused to come back until the parents stated that the child could leave them. At which time, he saw the child obviously alive.

So do you think that it was a Miracle from God or just plain science? And what kind of science brings babies back from the brink of death when they have been pronouced as DEAD?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Doesn't matter-its just a wonderful story and makes me happy for the family. I think that if you credit God for the good things you also have to blame him for the bad. I don't feel good about that. I think your draw strength and courage from God to deal with events both good and bad. When something great happens I am just happy and when something bad happens I am just bummed. God helps me be humble in times of greatness and strong in times of distress.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The human body can be amazingly resilient. I'm wagering the doctor's dismissal of the gagging being just reflexes was an error.

There are known benefits to using the kangaroo method (holding preemies to bare skin), which may have been a big part on what resusitated their child.

The human body still has many mysteries left to be discovered. Instead of throwing all the credit at God, I hope doctors will use this case as a learning tools to helping other mothers in similar situations so more lives can be saved.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Wow,,, really.. I thought that God was all over this one...
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The mother (against all odds) did what natured intended, rather than what man imposed... this is nothing new, and there are many, many cases just like this one. God has nothing to do with why the baby bounced back, physiologically the mothers own body sustains life both in AND outside the womb- including regulating the circulatory systems, respiratory systems, and through touch initiating chemical responses which negate the necessity of medical intervention.
    In short, medically we can only do so much that mother nature has provided women with the ability to do for their infants already... The human body is an amazing thing, and highly resilient. Medical science has yet to figure out most of our bodily functions, I truly hope that they use this as another example, and learning tool.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Neither God or science. Nature at it's best. Instincts at their best. The baby may have been very close to death, but mother's warmth and heartbeat helped regulate the babies body. Kind of like in 101 Dalmations where they were sure the puppy was dead, but vigorous stimulation encouraged it's body to react. I know kind of a bad example, but you get the idea. It took mom to stimulate a lazy baby who just had trouble getting started. She used her instincts and did what her nature told her to do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Definitely a God thing. Science is incapable of giving life, only God can do that. Our last baby was born at 23 weeks. Her NICU Dr. insisted she was a miracle & her unexplained survival was an act of God because, he said "science" dictated that she had a very slim chance of survival & definitely not without major disabilities. She began breathing on her own the day after she was born, she never experienced brain bleeds, infections, blindness, or any of the problems preemies of her gestation suffer from. She also began bottle & breast feeding a month before she should have been able to, had her feeding tube removed a month early & was eventually released from the hospital earlier than normal weighing only 3 pounds, because she was perfectly healthy & needed no ongoing medical intervention. Her NICU Dr. said there was no explanation except God & we agree.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I say that it was definitly god, god gives life, and obviously didnt want this little one to loose his. Even if you say that its just mother nature working at its best, I think that is the same thing as saying that it is god, who set it up that way.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I say both, I am so happy for them i read this story online it made me cry happy tears when i read he survived.
    sherryb1273

Answer by sherryb1273 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• @ 2autistics~ I'm glad I am not the only one who sees it for what it is.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• God is all over this one :-) Who do you think created science ?

There is a ministry out in Africa... the woman there holds lots of babies who have died and she will sit there, rock them, pray over them and speak precious words of life over them. Many have come back to life. There is something to be said about touch and the power of your words. I truly believe God created us to be human beings of healthy touch. When I was born, my first place was an incubator and in those days they did not understand how touch is so valuable to the baby's chances of survival. I was lucky... well no I call it a miracle, I was blessed to have angels watching over me and God with me from day 1. I fought for my life and lived.
    Had my parents been able to touch, I wouldnt have had to fight so hard ! Ive been fighting ever since :p Anyway praise God for that precious little one!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 3, 2010