Would like your input about taking baby to Halloween Party....

Well, heres the thing...my MIL (whom I despise) has a Halloween Party every year, last year she didn't invite me personally, just my husband..I just gave birth to my first child Oct. 1st. Her Halloween party is on the 25th, she called and "reminded" my husband of this, and he told her we weren't going to be able to make it because he didn't want to bring the baby into a situation like that, especially at her age. Heres the situation, the party is outside, in a pole barn, no heat, everyone smokes inside, kegs, lots of alcohol (drunks), 50 or so people in and out all night, it is pretty much a toothless hillbilly fest..and they will want to hold her...to me, it is out of the question! But the MIL is mad now because we arent bringing the baby...What do you think??

FLMOM2008

Asked by FLMOM2008 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• i agree with you and your dh. no way would i bring my baby to a party like that. i took my son to a Halloween party last year when he was 6 months, but it was a clean party that only a handful of people smoked, and when they did they had to go outside, and there was very little alchohol, which we didn't drink much because everyone had brought their kids and had to drive. but the way you described your MIL's party, AND you have a newborn? no way!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Heck NO!! I wouldn't take my baby to that, let your MIL be mad, who cares.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I would not, esp. if there is smoke. Stick to your guns on this one. Dont let her get you down. You are being a great mom.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 4:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• That is no place for a baby. Just the smoking and drinking alone would be enough reason not to bring the baby there. You and your MIL will butt heads about lots of things over the coming years. You may as well get used to it now.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• No the baby shouldn't go. What is the idiot woman thinking wanting a baby at something like that? Tell her to have her own baby and take it to the ho down.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Hmmm.. what a pain in the ass MIL. When we take our kid to a party or gathering, everyone is respectful and smokes outside.. they watch their mouths around her too.. and we never stay long, just long enough to say hello to everyone and mingle for an hour or so. It's just not the environment where you can relax and have fun yourself! Find a babysitter or just don't go at all. Don't make MIL make you feel guilty, if anything, you should make her feel guilty for wanting your child around all that.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• HELL NO, YOU DON'T GO!
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 6:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• NO WAY ON EARTH would I take my kid to that. Im sorry you have to deal with that woman. She sounds pretty unbearable. Let her have her hissy fit. You have your child to think of.
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 7:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• You aren't even really done healing yet! Don't take the baby out. Let DH go if he really wants to, but your baby doesn't need to be there. It doesn't sound too bad either that she doesn't invite you. It does not sound like a fun party.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My FIL told my DH and I to stop by a friend of his' house one evening. We did, I was so upset to find out it was a 200 person party. So, to be polite I stayed in the background with the baby. My DH took him out of his stroller and let my FIL hold him, the next thing I knew some woman (drunk) was holding my baby. I politely went up and took him away. My advice, don't do it. People drinking have impaired judgement and there's no telling what might happen. If you can find a sitter and want to go, I think that's the best solution. If you choose not to go, MIL will have to grow up and deal that you're more responsible about things than she.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2008