Are there any home remedies for strep throat?

I think I have strep throat, but I don't have insurance and so I can't get a prescription for antibiotics.

My whole throat hurts and it is tender and hurts when I swallow.

I can't afford a doctors visit because that it an automatic $177 just to walk in the door, then labs, etc. The Health Dapartment only charges $20 but I don't get paid until next Friday. :(

Are there any home remedies for strep throat? I mean, people had to deal with this stuff somehow before prescription medications... right?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• I had strep throat a couple months ago and it took about a week to get rid of it. I just drank green tea with honey and gargled salt water every day. Another good indicator of it being strep throat is if you have swollen tonsils with white spots all over them..and the lymph nodes in your neck may be swollen also, but even if you don't have tonsils you can still get strep throat.
    momof3blondies

Answer by momof3blondies at 10:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm sorry, but if it is strep, you need an antibiotic and if you don't get it and ignore it, it can get dangerous, turn into scarlet fever or rheumatic fever. You're going to have to go to ER or something, you'll have a bill, but you can pay $5 a month until the day you die if you have to, they can't turn you away.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• honey helps the stinging and itching. You can also drink hot tea and put honey in it. but honey by its self
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If it is really strep, an antibiotic is the only thing to get rid of it. Do you have a fever, nausea, and/or vomiting? Those usually go with strep. It could just be sore from nasal drainage, or coughing if you've been doing that.
    Drink some hot tea with lemon and honey, it helps sooth the sore throat.
    Also, eat hot soup type foods like chicken broth, or eat cold stuff like ice cream. It helps, and doesn't hurt as much to swallow.
    Those only sooth the throat, not get rid of the virus that is strep.
    Can you work out a payment thing, or get the money from someone/somewhere until friday so you can get the strep test done?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My daughter had it this summer. She was nauseous, vomiting when she laid down, low-mid grade fever, no coughing, no congestion or snot back up.
    What her doctor told me, if there isn't another reason for the sore throat (coughing, nasal drainage, something like that) and it's combined with fever and the nausea, it's a good bet it's strep.
    Is there a doctor you go to regularly? Could you call them and tell them your symptoms and ask them to call you in a generic prescription? I think most walmarts have $4 generics, and a lot of offices, if you go there or they know you well, will listen to your symptoms and call it in for you. It can't hurt to ask anyway.
    Hope you feel better soon :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:06 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Oh and you can help treat the symptoms with hot salt water gargling, it helps heal the lesions and takes away the pain, but still will not rid you of the bacteria, but really helps the sore throat. Good luck.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I already owe my boss from having to borrow some money to pay my water deposits a few weeks back, and she is the only one I know who can loan me anything. Of course people OWE me money but never have it to repay when I truly need it. (My own mother included.)

I have been running a fever off and on for a couple of days now, but barely coughing.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If I could get someone to call in an antiobiotic script our local Publix is filling antibiotics for free.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010