Will/Did you tell your children that Santa is/was real?

Why or why not? & did you believe it growing up? If so, till how old?

Kisses4Henry

Asked by Kisses4Henry at 9:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Holidays

• my kids know santa was real, but now he has helpers cuz he's so old he can't get around like he used to. and i still believe but i know he ain't gunna slid down the chimney. we've had too much happen to us each year that we have to believe!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My daughters know this. Santa was a new thing when we came to this country, and it was explained to them them.
    errantmommy

Answer by errantmommy at 9:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Never told my kids about Santa not that he was real anyways. Always told them that Santa was the good feeling people got around Christmas.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I believed as a child, my son believed...I quit doing Santa when he said.."Mom, you can quit now. I know Santa isn't real." LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:00 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I never had santa. My children never have either. They know of St. Nick, and they hear the *true* story every year. I do not believe in telling a lie to my children, and teaching them to expect crap that they do not need, when they should be learning that the gift is in the giving- not the getting.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Santa is make believe. When my oldest was first able to understand Christmas, maybe age 3, I didn't want him to think he wasn't getting bunches of presents because he wasn't good enough. I wanted him to know it was because we got the presents and we didn't have bunches of $$$. I wanted him to know the presents were from us. I didn't want to lie to him.

My kids are now adults. They still had fun at Christmas time and sat on Santa's lap for pictures. My youngest went through a phase one year when he was calling Santa The Fraud and I had to keep him away from other kids. They still pretended about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny but knew it was just make believe.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:10 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I grew up jewish and we never had Santa or a christmas tree. I always felt left out that time of year. Now I married a protestant and I really play up christmas. My kids all believed. It's a lot of fun! My oldest was 10 when he stopped believing. I had to tell him because he was getting so old I was afraid kids would make fun of him. My younger 2 are still strong believers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We never told the kids Santa was real and when they asked, we just told them that he was as real as THEY WANTED him to be. That put it back into the realm of their own imaginations.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't plan on it. I'd rather focus on the idea of caring and charity, and on the Jesus story, than Santa. I also don't feel right about "lying" to my son. So I'd rather not do Santa.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I do plan on telling him the history of St. Nicholas, though. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010