Would You Rather: Prescription Medications or Herbal Supplements?

I am talking for things like depression, anxiety, joint/arthritis pain, sleep, etc?

I have found in the past that prescription medications are stronger (sometimes too strong) and are addictive. I personally try to find a herbal supplement for things because I feel they are safer for me. And I'm not talking about some new herbal medicine that just came out yesterday either... I'm talking about things that have been around and are backed by doctor's such as St. John's Wort, etc.

I was just wondering what other people prefer and why?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in

• Most people are surprised to find that the FDA does NOT test drugs. Instead the agency relies on the drug maker to submit studies that ensure efficacy and safety. In a recent court brief, former and current editors and authors of The New England Journal of Medicine said that companies such as Merck, Wyeth and Bayer Healthcare withheld important information from the FDA regarding the safety of certain drugs, costing many lives. Without this information, the FDA cannot adequately regulate, and consumers cannot know a drug's danger.
    So... as to your ? - herbal and natural supplements - definitely! My mother suffers from arthritis and has found Replenex Joint Replenishing Complex from Melaleuca has helped immensely - Calcium helps with sleep problems, as for anxiety: adequate exercise and rest and a good nutritional supplement will help - this may also help with depression - Good luck - stay healthy:)
    Dew1

Answer by Dew1 at 11:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• herbal/ all natural is all i will use unless it is a last resort.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Herbal supplements. Medication is a last resort for me.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I consider myself an "amateur expert" on this topic, and although prescription (and OTC) drugs can be addictive, they are FDA APPROVED!!!! most herbal supplements have had NO testing about safety, both short term AND long term.
    But if you do wish to take these, PLEASE inform both your Doctor AND pharmacist. (Dr.'s no little about mixing meds.....iv'e gotten calls from my pharmacist warning me that the drug my Dr. just prescribed posed a probable lethal interaction with another med i was on)

Think of herbal supplements as just drugs that haven't been researched yet. I mean, even slightly high levels of certain vitamins can be deadly.

whatever you decide, PLEASE do your research, be safe, and ask your Dr. and pharmacist!

Cheryl (Supe68)
    Supe68

Answer by Supe68 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Herbal as much as possible, but I'm not gonna lie, after my c-section i took like 6 ibuprofen 800mg's out of the entire bottle, for the first couple days. Just 6 total, I tried to manage the pain as much as possible, after 6 times of taking a pill, I felt able enough to handle it on my own and stopped taking them. I was in bootcamp (Navy) when they took my wisdom teeth out and i was allergic to vicodin (sp?) and all I had was the ibuprofen 800mg and 2 days of rest before we had to get back to training. I relied on those more than with my c-section because I couldn't sleep through the pain with training and everything. I would take one before bed, when I woke up, and once or twice throughout the day. But thats really it, only for surgery do i sometimes take pain pills but I only want ibuprofen... i want non addictive pills, lol.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 10:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have been doing prescriptions for pain for a long time now and I'm starting to look into alternative treatment....I just don't know how to find a doctor or specialist to point me in the direction I need to go. But at thid point if it helps and wont destroy my organs anymore than I think its a great idea.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:17 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Medications. Herbs are drugs and they aren't regulated. You don't know what you are getting. With medications you know the purity and strength you are getting. Herbs are a risk and a waste of $$$.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:20 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There are specialists out there on herbal remedies :) My insurance even covers office visits to them :)
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 10:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't enjoy taking a lot of prescription meds but I will if necessary. I have not/probably will not use herbal remedies.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Herbal
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010