Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know what special guardianship is at what rights to parents have if its against them

My father filed a paper with the court for my son. Special Guardianship. I have done all the judge has asked of me and still no budge.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • Im guessing the gaurdianship was granted towards your father. Without knowing the situation and what state you are in, I am going to say that you may need to get a lawyer or call legal aide in your area. Good Luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • In New Hampshire we just call it guardianship. My sister recently requested guardianship of our 2 nieces. Their Mom was just not doing the things a Mom needs to do. She was drinking, they were homeless, they were not going to school and they did not have food or clean clothes, she was leaving them with friends and relatives for weeks at a time. So my sisters went to court and of course my sister (the girl's aunt) was awarded temporary guardianship. The Mom has 1 year to get her act together. The judge has given her a list of things to do. Monthly drug tests, hold a job, an apartment, etc. If she does these thing they will go back to court in 1 year and he may send the girls home. Whatver is in the best interest of the children is all that should matter.

    Answer by coug70_99 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • I am a guardian. Guardianship is when another member of the family or under some circumstances another adult, files for custody of the child through a J&D court. The decision is always based on the reason, the evidence and etc. If youve done all that you were asked to do, hire a lawyer. You can take proof of everything and file to get custody back. Most cases are only denied if the child is in harm or danger or if the parent is what they deem unfit. Have you tried talking to your father? You can also try to apply for joint custody and eventually full back.

    Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • I have guardianship of children living with me because it was the only way to keep the kids out of state custody. At this point until the mother can prove that she can take care of the kids she can not have custody of them back. She has to prove to a judge that she is fit and capable of meeting their needs and that it would be in theie best interest to return them. I think most judges tend to return kids to their biological parents as soon as they show that they can and will provide for them. In order to get custody back when their is a court ordered guardianship you do have to go to court which could mean having family services visit your home and a transitional period befor you get them full time.

    Answer by jc1969 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.