How do I break off a friendship?

I have been friends with this woman for about 2 1/2 years now and she drives me NUTS!!! She wears me out mentaly. I have many reasons to want to break off the friendship, I am just not sure how to do this tactfully. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Just tell her because if you drop hints she just gonna brush them off and keep tryin to be your friend.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you do not want to confront her you could let the friendship gradually fade away.... use caller id to screen her calls, if she calls and wants to do something be 'busy'...
    OR
    If you are ok with talking to her about it you could say "I really don't know how to say this without hurting your feelings. Our friendship just is not working out for a variety of reasons and I don't think that I can be your friend anymore. I'm sorry".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would just let it die away. Use your caller ID and be too busy whenever she wants to get together.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Do what I did... don't take her calls. If she gets pushy about it, tell her "Listen... I just don't think this is working out." and tell her why. I had to tell a friend (a girl that was my BFF for 14 years) that I didn't appreciate the way she talked down about my kids, tried to mother my children when I was there and she wasn't even a mother to her own kids, how she always expected me to jump when she needed something but I didn't get the same in return. It was toxic and I needed out. I haven't spoken to her in a year.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I broke it off one time because I felt used. Everytime this friend came over, unannounced may i add, they wanted a beer and would be like "whose thirsty?" I would say me I guess and after a few minutes they would be all " well are you gonna go get me a beer or what?" Now I don't mind the asking once in a while and I always offer my guests a beverage of their choice after a few minutes of small talk from whatever I have on hand: coffee, water, juice, wine...whatever. But it got to be EVERY SINGLE TIME and as soon as he walked in the door. It even got to where this "friend" of mine would come over, drink a beer and split. So I finally said I appreciate your friendship and I always offer you a drink but if the only reason you are hanging out with me is to get a drink you need to stop coming over. The most insulting part was he never came over after that! What a user.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010