Just took an AMTRAK train to NYC last week for the first time and had a terrible ticket collector on the train. Anyone else ever had a bad experience on AMTRAK?

Ticket collector was rude and said some things I felt totally uncalled for. I got on the wrong train station at BWI and it should have been Balto Penn Station. After the BWI stop is the Balto Penn Station stop, so I was on a train heading to NYC. Instead of politely telling me I was on the wrong train, the female ticket collector embarrassed me in front of other customers. Loudly told me on the train that the reason it is important to be on the right train was this. If this train crashed and my body was thrown out in the woods out there, NO ONE would be looking for you because your not on the correct train manifest. Nice huh, now that's customer service at it's best. I said that makes total sense to me, but this if my first time riding AMTRAK. Just tell me what I need to do to make it all correct. She told me to take my luggage and go to the last car as she was going to have to charge me more money.

Ittgal

Asked by Ittgal at 10:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Travel

• No, I've always had good experiences on Amtrak and have used them several times
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 10:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have never taken AMTRAK but if I were you and obviously you are very upset by the way you were treated, I would contact AMTRAK and make a complaint. You could get the address of the main office and write a letter & send it certified mail and include the time/date and train # you were on. Although wherever you seem to go these days, people are just plain rude but I would complain.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• bumpI'm bumpin this for you!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 5:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• no i have never taken amtrak but that was very rude to tell you she could of just told you nicely that you were on the wrong train no need for the extra story. i mean thats horrible imagine hw any other first time riders has she said that too.
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 7, 2010

• Thanks for all the feedback...I definitely will not let it rest. I can't not stand people being rude when they are in the customer service areas. You know what they say...people who've a bad experience will tell 10 people. SO that's what I did. Thank you all!!
    Ittgal

Comment by Ittgal (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Sep. 8, 2010

• I have used Amtrack many times and the last time I was on it the experience was terrible. I called the Amtrack asked for customer service and with the train number route and time told them what happened. I was told that the person would be called on the carpet for it. A few days later I got a call back from the same person and was told that he was let go from the company. The squeaky wheel gets the oil I have LEARNED!
    thismamacooks

Answer by thismamacooks at 6:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2010