Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I use to get food coloring off my kitchen floor?

I did something stupid and left ONE small bottle of food coloring out on the counter this morning (I had to make purple cupcakes for my daughter's class... it's Purple day). Wellll, my ornery little three year old decided she'd take the cap off... and drip neon purple food coloring all over my floor. I think it's linoleum. I can't use straight bleach because my kids are allergic to it... Any other ideas?

 
SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 17 (3,874 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • See if rubbing alcohol will take it off...it does wonders with Sharpie ink!... Do NOT use the magic eraser... it cleans mechanically by sanding away the finish...you will damage your linoleum.
    WoodWitch

    Answer by WoodWitch at 1:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • Mr. Clean Magic Eraser but if your floor has a sheen, it may remove that too. Test it in a small area first.
    ILovemyPaulie

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • Get a bowl of hot water with some dish soap (dawn or a dawn knockoff works best) and a rag and wipe it. I've done this before, but it was my fault. I knocked a whole bottle of food coloring off the counter before and it came right off. It may take a couple of wipes if it's not fresh.
    Kiwismommy19

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • I'm not sure if this will work - but, I have spilled red nail polish on my carpet and it took it out - the product is Sol-U-Mel - all natural - tons of uses :)
    Dew1

    Answer by Dew1 at 10:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • That liquid Comet cleaner should do it. I got purple Kool Aid powder out of my counter top with it. Check the label, though. It might have bleach in it. You could also try some nail polish remover.
    lvpenguino

    Answer by lvpenguino at 1:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

  • trace amounts of bleach are okay... I just can't use straight up bleach. My kids all have really sensitive skin and it makes them break out.
    SAHMomOf3

    Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN