tub knob covers??

my son, 28 months old, loves getting in the tub by himself (whether i'm in the bathroom w/ him or not) and turns on the water so he can fill the cup and pour it over himself over and over again. This is over and over throughout the day. I found some doorknob covers as a temporary solution but they wont work in the long run because they keep popping off when I turn the knob to test them out. The knobs are not separate from the spout and arent far from the tub itself, so those inflatable knob covers wouldnt fit properly. I dont want to take off the knobs and use pliers either (not for aesthetic reasons but convenience lol)....any advice? I dont mind if it attracts attention so long as they prevent my son from turning the water on. The water temp isnt hot, but still...I dont want him to take a bath without me there.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• put the knob thing on the bathroom door and keep the BATHROOM DOOR SHUT! If he can't get into the bathroom then the problem is solved. Even if he's potty training that is not a bad solution.... it just keeps him out of the bathroom when he's not being supervised!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I always keep my bathroom doors shut so my son can't get in there without me. My oldest has autism and could open a door long before he was safe in the bathroom by himself - I started locking the doors from the inside when I left and kept "keys" on top of the door moldings to the bathrooms.

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my cat's litterbox is in there too, so I'd rather not lock the door in case my cat needs to go and I'm not right there to open the door for him. If my cat wasnt here locking the door would be the obvious solution lol but I dont want to do that because of my cat. That bathroom is the only place in the house I can fit the litter box.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Or instead of using the bathroom door knob covers you can use an eye and hook lock. Place the high enough for him NOT to able to reach and just starting to keeping the bathroom door locked and shut when not in uses.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would find another place to store the litter box!
    SAHMinIL2

• Or if you own the home install a SMALL cat door. I say small, because you want it big enough for the cat to get through but not your toddler.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• unless i put the litter box in the living room, the bathroom is the only place for it. I'd rather keep it in the bathroom for my cats privacy. Not too mention, putting it in the living room would cause a whole other issue with my son touching it! The bathroom contains the smell pretty good. I dont own the home and if I installed a cat door he wouldnt just do his thing and come back inside, he'd be gone for hours or days.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010