Solid foods 8 1/2 mo old

I am trying to get dd to eat more real food, she is eating 8-9 six ounce bottles a day. But so far she isn't really going for it. I've tried giving her small bananna chunks, crackers, canned mixed veggies, apple pieces, cooked carrotts, grean beans, *she LOVES pickles lol*. But so far she just doesn't seem interested in any of it. She will gum the crackers a little. But if she gets a chunk of anything in her mouth she gags until she vomits. I've done cheerio size and smaller. I'm wondering if I should talk to her doctor? She's been doing this for over amonth now and hasn't grown out of it. It's gotten a little better, but not much. She does it with hard stuff, mushy stuff, tiny tiny stuff, bigger stuff... I'm just not sure what to do to help her!

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried mashing carrots, peas or squash with a fork so it is still kind of lumpy? Breastmilk or formula should be her primary food source until she is one and the other stuff is really just to get her used to eating food. With my daughter we waited until she started grabbing our food. We had her at the table with us for meals so she saw us eating.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:51 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Just be patient, it takes a while for many babies to learn to eat, so it's great that she's eager to drink lots - that's the main thing she needs right now. My son wasn't able to eat crackers or green beans until around 10-11 months... and he's still having trouble with real, crunchy apples at 13 months. Some soft real foods you can try are applesauce, potatoes (with lots of milk), really really ripe fruits (you can actually spoon ripe apricots right out of the skin), avocados, etc. Have you tried pureeing things? That way you can control the ingredients and textures. How is her ability to self-feed? Things really started to take off once he getting better at picking up food and getting it into his mouth.

But definitely mention it to her doctor the next time you are there. It doesn't sound like a problem yet, but it's good to get help keeping an eye on it.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• She doesn't need help. Solids aren't necessary at this point. She'll take more when she's ready. My DD didn't even start solid til 11 months. They gradually take a little more in quantity and frequency over time.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:15 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• She may just not ne ready yet. Will she eat purees? Maybe those will help to slow down her formula intake.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• op here, I do give her baby food, two containers a day. She's just a hungry baby!! And I don't cereal because it makes her constipated.
    jedwards2009

Comment by jedwards2009 (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you spoon feed purees it tends to interfere with heir ability to learn their limits of how to handle different foods, so it can take them a bit longer. also, the gag reflex is a safety mechanism. Don't worry. Babies are generally unfazed by their gag reflex and resume eating even if the vomit a little. I know it looks scary, but gagging is not choking. a baby who is choking cannot breathe or cough because their airway is blocked.

read this baby led solids
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010