Whats your biggest goal as a parent?

Not just "to raise good kids" but something more specific.

My goal, what I really want my daughters to really know and understand. I really want them to know that they can talk to me about anything and everything. I don't want them to be afraid to tell me they slept with someone and it was a mistake or that they drank alcohol. Obviously I don't want them to do these things but I want an open relationship so that IF something happened they could talk to me. My husband feels the same way and even joked that we should keep an extra bedroom for one of their friends thats screws up and gets kicked out of home. LOL.

mrspierce06

Asked by mrspierce06 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I want all of them to go to college and get a job that they love. I want them to find the love of their lives and raise families of their own.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Every thing you want in and more>

I want them to be wise to the game of love, sex and lust. I want them to be honest with themselves, and proud of who they are and what ever they do.
    I want them to succeed in life, but to what ever extent they feel they are happy, if working at the library for the rest of their life makes them happy then I am happy for them, if getting married and being a SAHM makes them happy then I am happy for them.

Straight or gay, gothic or not, they are my children and I just want them to be healthy and happy. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my goal is to do everything in my power to make living with her level of autism less of a struggle for her
    and
    to educate as many people as possible about autism, so maybe one day it will be less of a stigma
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I want my child to believe he can do anything that he puts his focus to. I want him to get a good education and a wonderful job, not just pay wise, but also one he loves. I want him to feel that when he is older, his life was as good as it possibly could have been.
    genuinelyblessd

Answer by genuinelyblessd at 10:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I want my son to be a caring, compassionate, understanding person, who follows his own convictions and understandings while respecting those who follow different paths in life. I want him to learn to make informed decisions, knowing everything he can about his options and then picking what he most believes in. And I want him to love and be loved, to understand what love really is and what it really means...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I want to raise a happy, well adjusted, well educated, productive member of society. I want her to follow her dreams and convictions. I want her to know that no matter how much she screws up that her parents will always love her for who and what she is. I also want her to know that she can come and talk to Mommy or Daddy about anything and that we will always answer her honestly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I want my kids to be happy, self sufficient, positive people who aren't afraid to go out there and live life to the fullest, trying new things, meeting new people, and experiencing new places. I want them to not be afraid to stand up for what they believe in, but to be respectful of the fact that others who disagree are probably just as adamant and feel just as strongly about their beliefs. I want them to maintain their integrity and their funny bone. To be compassionate and giving, but to also not be a rug that people just walk all over.

We've taught them that we don't care what they do when they grow up, as long as it's not illegal, not immoral, and they can support themselves - we just want them to be happy with their choices.

I want them to be capable (work, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc) to be able to take care of themselves without my help as an adult (not that I won't help if needed...).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I want my sons to be productive members of society. I want them to be wise in the ways of the world. I also try and have open conversations with them so they won't be scared to come to me about anything. I want them to love what they do and love who they are with.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 12:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• To get them out of the house! lol j/k ;)

I want them to be happy and have success and a family that loves them
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• One of my biggest goals in raising my daughter is to help her become a caring, charitable person. I would love for her be friendly with people, no matter what their status is. I would like for her to be a free spirit, yet grounded and realistic. I would like for her to have goals and dreams, and REACH those goals. She doesn't need to become Miss America, but I I'd like for her to be able to accomplish what she wants.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 4:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010