Dilation without contractions?

I'm 40 weeks, 4cm dilated, but I at most I get 5 contractions a day. And I do mean "at most". Some days I feel nothing.

I'm set to be induced in a week. Has anyone else been through this? Dilating well but no contractions? Were you induced? How did it go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• With each of my pregnancy's I had some dilation and no contractions. But once I got to 3cm. Then labor kicked in and it started. Be happy you are one that will go longer with out contractions. I was never induced. I am one that refuse to. But I also go early.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You are doing great!! Some people feel every contraction... and it hurts!!

I was induced with my first. I had pitocin, and it made my body work really really hard, it was 10 hours of hard contractions before she was born. My second I was not induced and I didn't have pitocin, it was much easier, my DH will tell you that I wasn't such a *itch.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I never had a contraction AT ALL until I went into labor. I dilated to a 2 or 3 before I ever went into labor. I had my son at 40 weeks and 2 days. I refuse to be induced unless something is seriously wrong or I passed 42 weeks and my placenta is deteriorating. My labor started at 12pm 2 days after my EDD and he was born at 7pm. No issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It's normal to dilate without feeling contractions. Hope you go into labor without being induced. It's normal for a pregnancy to go up to 42 weeks. I wouldn't let them induce me until 43 weeks with my first pregnancy. I went every day to have my bp and urine checked and for the CNM to check my baby's heart rate.

Being induced makes labor worse and you have IVs and monitors. There are effects on you and the baby. My first 2 babies were intervention free. My third was induced at 36 weeks because I was very ill and my life was in danger. I was able to have an easy labor and birth with no epidural. However I had a doula and childbirth training.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was dilated to 5 at 32 weeks with no contractions. I delivered a 10 pound baby girl 4 weeks later and she was totally healthy.
    Mrs.Apple

Answer by Mrs.Apple at 11:38 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had no contractions or dilation at my last prenatal appointment. They were talking about letting it go another week and a half and if there was no change inducing me. I ended up going to labor naturally anyway and gave birth the day after my due date.

I'm so glad I didn't end up being induced. I knew at the time that there were risks and since that time have found out about even more. If you can safely wait for your body to go into labor on its own, then wait.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• what you are experiencing sounds pretty normal, although it didn't happen to me :-) is there a reason for the induction? it sounds like things are going along smoothly :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• All this stuff is a part of having a baby, but you don't have to feel contractions to dilate. And you don't have to dilate with contractions~~ they don't have to go together.
    You will dilate when the time is Right.
    A "due date" is a MID-point within the due period. Unless you have medical complications, inducing for no reason adds unnecessary risks~ in case you weren't aware. It's safer to wait for a spontaneous labor.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:56 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was dilated to a fingertip at 36 weeks, to a 1 and 25% effaced at 37 weeks, 2 and 50% effaced at 38 weeks, and when i went in to be induced at my 39 weeks date i was at a 3 and 75% effaced. I had some contractions the night before my induction but i could hardly hardly feel them.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Oh and my induction..Yeah, never again. 37 hours of pitocin contractions and getting stuck at 8cm and having a c section. It sucked!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:58 AM on Sep. 3, 2010