You want to change the 14th amendment, what is that going to solve/change?

Republicans are pushing for congressional hearings to consider changing the nation's 14th Amendment to deny such children the automatic citizenship the Constitution guarantees. They say women like Garcia are taking advantage of a constitutional amendment meant to guarantee the rights of freed slaves, and paint a picture of pregnant women rushing across the border to give birth. A recent Pew Hispanic Center study shows 8 percent of the 4.3 million babies born in the U.S. in 2008 had at least one illegal parent.

A closer examination of the issue shows that the trend is not as dramatic as some immigration opponents have claimed.

Most children of illegal immigrants are born to parents like Garcia who have made the United States their home for years.

Out of 340,000 babies born to illegal immigrants in the United States in 2008, 85 percent of the parents had been in the country for more than a year, and more than half fo

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am so against this. This is how the great majority of us ARE citizens.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I can't believe after all the bitching and moaning they did over their *false* belief that their precious 2nd amendment would change, that they have the BALLS to want a another one to change, but that is just me. Talk about hypocrites!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It wouldn't solve anything. But illegal immigration is down because Obama is destroying the economy anyway.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Whether a woman crosses the border to have a baby, or has been here for years and had several, the problem IS a problem. Every legal citizen still has to pay for it ~ and the total cost is far more than the cost of the war (that some people can't seem to stomach paying for). OUR children suffer to cater to this. OUR homeless suffer to pay for this. OUR sick (needing a hospital) suffer for this. OUR education is getting worse by the year because of this.

An illegal is breaking our laws just by being here and some of you want to reward them by giving their children citizenship (and them a legal reason ... sort of ... to remain) at the expense of our own. I don't get it. I don't WANT to get it. I love kids but I see no reason to hurt so many to 'give' to a few. Make them take their babies home, without a US birth certificate.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• This is nothing but politics. They have no intentions of changing an amendment. That isn't that easy. It is a talking point for their base for the elections. They wouldn't even bother. When do they start having real ideas that will fix our country.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You want to change the 14th amendment, what is that going to solve/change?

~No. No, I don't..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Nothing I don't want to change in, but those in-charge of my state are complete idiots.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• So punish the kids, Steph? WRONG!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The suit alleges the Sheriff's Office is in violation of federal civil-rights laws by refusing for 17 months to fully cooperate with an investigation into police practices and jail operations. The lawsuit, filed in U.S. District Court in Phoenix, names Sheriff Joe Arpaio, his office and Maricopa County.according to the lawsuit officials in the Justice Department's civil-rights unit first started looking at allegations of civil-rights violations by the Sheriff's Office in June 2008, during the George W Bush era. The probe was not revealed publicly until March 2009Arpaio, however, contends the inquiry is part of a conspiracy connecting the White House, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon and local advocacy groups
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010