would breastfeeding after a child reaches a certain age harm or scar them mentally as a growing child?

I am breastfeeding my baby he is about to turn 6 months old and I have no intention of stopping and I hate that the people around me are always ridiculintsg me... so i want to know honestly what to say when people tell me that i will mess up my son's mentality breastfeeding past the time when he's able to remember things?.

vdegraffenreid

Asked by vdegraffenreid at 4:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is bullshit. It is PROVEN that a baby that is breastfed for a long time has a higher IQ than babies that were taken off the breast and given formula. I'm planning on breastfeeding my son until he is a year old and if anyone says anything they'll get an ass reeming from me. It's YOUR baby. Tell them to mind their own business and shove it up their ass. If someone says that, laugh and say how sad it is that people are so poorly educated these days.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• nope, my stepmom breastfed her 2 kids till they were 2. they're fine!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I know LLL moms are going to go nuts on me for this, but seeing the Dr. Phil with the 11 year old nursing creeps me out. I nursed for 7 months before I dried up and I was hoping to make it to a year old, but I think that if you're actually nursing past 2 or 3 instead of pumping and giving the milk, its going to mess them up by being "too" attached and needing you constantly or interfere with playing because you know these kids will be picked on. I don't want to sound harsh, but you can't tell me that 11 year old's classmates think "oh you're nursing, cool" instead of "omg, you wont believe what I found out about her...she sucks on her mothers boob! Nasty"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• the world average weaning age is 4-7 years...of that eases your mind a bit.

The WHO recommends breastfeeding for AT LEAST the first 2 years.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Ignore response number 3. No one is talking about nursing a middle schooler. It's strange that whenever a BF question is asked, people always start talking about something that is just plain ridiculous.

Nurse yoru baby and ignore the people that tell you that you are hurting him. I often find that those type of people feel bad becasue they didn't BF so they are transferring that guilt to you. And when those comments are made, you can say "Really? Like who?" They can't name a single instance.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• No, breastfeeding to any age will not scar or harm your child at all.
    It is recommended to breastfeed for at LEAST 2 years..
    Take the advice of the poster before me- when people make these comments, use her retort of "really? Like who?"

People make ridiculous claims, and yet they don't actually KNOW what they're talking about. A 2 or 3 year old engaged in play isn't going to stop for boob. How silly!! And if their peers are picking on them, they could have only gotten such nastiness from their parents.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• (I couldn't possibly see my 2 1/2 year old coming up with something harsh to call another child all on her own!! Cognitively it's just not there to make fun of another child when a kid is a toddler! A parent would have to coach the child "call ___ a sissy baby")
    FWIW-my daughter stopped BFing 6 months ago.. I just had a new baby 7 days ago.. I've let my 2 year old know that she can try booby again if she wants, and she'll ask for it, but when I say yes, she says "no, baby can have it". She remembers our nursing relationship very well, but she is attached and secure enough that she doesn't need to compete.. Rather than screwing her up, I think it has made her more empathetic to the needs of our new addition..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Breastfeeding does NOT impair your child in any way. It is the best thing for them. I know about 20 children who were breastfeed til they were 2, 3 or 4. Babies tend to wean themselves if allowed. It will only make your relationship with your child more special and your child will end up without the insecurities of bottlefed babies.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 6:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Good grief, you don't need to worry about a 6 month old! He's not even close to old enough to be weaned yet! Ask those people if they think he's old enough to stop taking a bottle and eat all solid foods yet. You can bet they will say no. A child will usually self-wean by the time they turn 3 if not before, and with no ill effects. There is always some nut job that thinks they know it all, and are willing to practise it on YOUR child! Don't let them.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• No, won't hurt him. He'll be fine even if he does remember it. There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008