Is diet soda okay while pregnant?

I am usually a water lover, but this pregnancy I can't stomach it at all. It sits like a brick until I vomit. I have been drinking gatorade or gingerale. I feel like it is way to many extra calories. Is it okay to drink a couple freshcas or diet gingerales.

snailteacher

Asked by snailteacher at 4:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i drink diet coke and things have been fine
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• The only thing about diet soda is the aspartame....I drank regular soda while I was pregnant b/c I figured if I was gonna have the caffine I should at least spare myself and baby of the aspartame.
    Anonymous

• diet coke doesnt have caffine at all and my dr told me that it was a safe drink to have
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Aspartame is okay IN MODERATION as long as you don't have PKU. But if you can, try regular soda or caffeine-free regular soda.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I was told by my doc that it's OK to drink up to 5 cups of coffee per day - which averages out to about 7 regular soda's per day (going only by amount of caffeine per serving(depending on the kind obviously))...anyone that drinks that much is crazy anyway (LOL) - but as long as you're still drinking water or something good for you, too - it's OK to have the pop - diet or regular...just keep the intake low to keep calories lower!!
    Anonymous

• I was told that the aspartame is not good for the baby's growth. If you have to have soda, it is better to have regular.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I WOULDN'T THINK IT'S A GREAT IDEA, BUT AN OCCASIONAL PROBABLY WON'T HURT.....
    momtomatthew02

Answer by momtomatthew02 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Gatorade is good to drink. It will return the electrolytes that you lose vomiting. My midwife told me that the electrolytes helps with nauseous too.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 5:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Have you tried adding a little lemon to the water?
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Moderation babe! moderation. Both of the sodas you mentioned are caffeine free...does fresca have splenda now instead of aspertame? I don't remember.

In any case, one a day is not a big deal, but I wouldn't drink a whole bunch if they have aspertame. Well a whole bunch isn't good in any case.

Diet Jones sodas do not have aspertame in them, and I know there are quite a few made with splenda now (diet 7-up for one).
    aenima49

Answer by aenima49 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008