ants how do you get rid of them?? the baby powder worked for awhile then they came back HELP I hate these things their caring all of my appliances awayHAHA

SILVERROSE01

Asked by SILVERROSE01 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Home & Garden

• well if you live in the south you know what grits are; my mom use to give us packs of instant grits and send us out into the backyard and we would pour them over the ant pile. The ants will eat the grits and the next time it rains they will explode or something like that. Im not sure exactly how it works but it worked for us.
    bc19

Answer by bc19 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• grits work or corn meal - sorry, the ants don't explode or anything - lol - but cute concept :) - actually, ants can't digest the grits or corn meal, so they die. You will need to make numerous passes with it, though - it's not like a poison, but thankfully, it's also not poisonous to your kids - so, whether it takes a lot or not, it's always a better option for the kids/pets. I would still keep it away from any dogs or cats, though - because obviously you'll go through more if they're eating it instead! (My dog loves it when I sprinkle it outside for the ants) If you can get to them outside (make sure to reapply at least once a week, or after it rains), it's better that they don't ever even make it inside to carry away those appliances!!! :) GOOD LUCK!
    mama_of5

Answer by mama_of5 at 5:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My landlord used a gallon jug of some type of ant killer. He walked around the house and sprayed the house where it meets the ground. Within days the ants were gone. He buys it right at Wal-Mart but I don't really know what the brand name is. We tried ant baits inside the house for a month before he used the spray.
    Anonymous

• This question was asked the other day. You contributed to the answer. Perhaps you forgot. Here is a link...

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/49404/ANTS_ANTS_ANTS_HELP?cat_id=9
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 5:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I tried that grits thing because everyone here in GA swore by it....and it didnt do a darn thing. we tried the poison..didnt help..so now my husband has taken to lighting the hills on fire and it works good. lol...but i wouldnt reccomend it.
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 6:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• whats grits???????????????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• its carrying not caring but anyways try sevin! also make a whole then put a pickle jar with honey around it plant it in there then the ants will smell the honey since there attracted to sweets and they'll dive in there and drown=]
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• flymom07- I know i answered the question, at that time it worked but they came back so the advise i got from someone it didn't work.
    SILVERROSE01

Answer by SILVERROSE01 at 7:03 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• We live in Antville, USA....I got ants in my kitchen last summer and tried all sorts of things. I don't leave anything out or unsealed but still they came in. I finally had success with getting the ant baits and setting them out. I got the little plastic ones with the poison inside...you can get them at the Dollar General, Walmart, etc. I had to just set them around and let the ants go to them...I fought for at least a month before the baits but afterwards it only took a few days and they were gone. This summer I saw them in 1 drawer, put a new bait in that drawer and by the next day they were all gone and I haven't seen any again. I use the OrthoMax on the fire ants outside.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 11:55 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have the same problem I simply put ant granules around my house and in corners and cabinets. That helps
    KHAMONISMOM

Answer by KHAMONISMOM at 5:04 PM on Oct. 14, 2008