So Long Summer: Do you have any tips for getting kids to complete their Summer reading list?

Answer 10 of CafeMom Team's So Long Summer Questions this Labor Day Weekend and win a Virtual Vacation award for your Answers profile page.

Ask your own, and then link to it from this group post, for some extra sunshine.

Learn more in the Answers Group.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 10:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in

• Make it fun.. Read with them.. Set aside a time every night or every other night to read.♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It should be a set amount of time each day or week that they have to complete the reading. don't wait until last minute. Even though school is out, it doesnt mean that they don't have responsibilities just like chores. They still go on each day regardless of the season.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I always offer my kids a special "prize" if they finish their lists - a trip to the ice cream parlor, a movie, etc.

Answer by missanc at 10:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Incorporate it into something else that makes them more into it. Make it part of their bedtime routine.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Since my kids aren't at that age yet I would have to say no I don't have any tips. LOL!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:49 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Read the books to them. Find the book online so they can read it on the laptop. Find the book on tape or cd so they can listen to it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:50 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son's not old enough yet, but perhaps someone could set aside a certain amount of time so many times a day. Or read them together. Or find the movie and promise to watch the movie when they're done with the book, or act it out, let them do something fun wit the story line when they're done with each chapter/scene/or book.... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:53 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I love to read. So my son and I have "reading time". During this time, he and I pile up on my bed, read and discuss our books! It is always a lot of fun for both of us!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:59 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Read with them, set up rewards for trying their hardest and reading them. Have family read time where everyone sits down with a book and reads together.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We read every night and always have. So its just part of there everyday routine
    batjmom

Answer by batjmom at 11:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2010