What are some good exercises I can do, just to keep in shape?

I can't go running (four kids... two of them aren't old enough to ride bikes and I can't afford a double running stroller), walking is difficult..same reasons. I'm looking for quick, fairly easy things I can do around the house. I am not looking to lose weight, just to be healthier!

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 11:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• There are floor exercises that I use that really work! I promise you will feel it the next day!

For legs: Hands on your hips lunge forward so that your legs are 90 degrees making sure your knee does not go over your foot. Switch legs. Start out at 8 to 10 a leg. Next do squats. Have your legs shoulder width apart, go a little farther out to get different muscles. Squat down as if your sitting down, make sure you push your butt out as if you want it to touch the back of the wall, and back up. Do this for 10 to 15 times. Next do calf raises. Legs apart raise onto your toes and back down. Do this 20 to 30 times quick but steady. Now repeat all above three times!!

For stomach exercises: 2o regular crunches, tip is to pretend there is a piece of fruit between your neck, there should be space. 20 full sit ups. 20 crunches where you cross your elbow to opposite knee. Repeat series 3 times. cont...
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• have you tried Zumba! it is so much fun and easy to do at your own pace! you can burn up to 1000 calories an hour. You wouldnt even have to buy the dvd's. There is videos on you tube of the dance moves you can do! hope this helps honey!
    arbnmom

Answer by arbnmom at 11:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• With the stomach repeat the cycle three times. If its too hard (I had to build up to it).

For your arms: girl push ups work GREAT!! Do 10 girl push ups and stretch arms in between sets of 10 and do that 3 times.

Do all of these three times a week and you will see results. Also cardio is very very important!!! Take the kids on a hilly walk is an idea. Walk fast enough that conversation is not easy for at least 30 minutes. 30 minutes is the proven time that will actually trigger the fat burning!!

If these work for and you would like more let me know. I have a bunch I do for variety. Some are hard to type out to understand but I will be glad to try!!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I just caught that going walking is not an option for you. Cardio is very important though to get the fat burning with the muscle building so other options are...you can run around your house if you have a circle floor plan. IF you have stairs go up and down and fast enough that breathing is enhanced. Jump rope. And you can get cardio work out videos. Since its boring to jump rope for a whole 30 minutes straight then break it up. 10 min of jump rope, 10 min of stairs, 10 running around house.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• do you get fit tv? it's a channel on cable, they have all different types of exercise programs on. I dvr them so I can do them when it's more convenient.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• This site is great:
    SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

It gives you food examples, or you can enter your own foods, tells you how many calories you need per day, what excercises you can try, etc.

It has a healthy living side of the website too. :)

I love it! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Walk
    Planks
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Walking/Running will definitely be part of my fitness plan when I get all my kids at least in preschool... but with a 3 y/o and a 19 month old who are not in school at all yet, it's hard. I plan on exercising while my son is in preschool (it's 2 1/2 hours). I do have a double stroller that I will probably use to go walk at the park until it gets too cold, as long as my girls will cooperate!
    SAHMomOf3

Comment by SAHMomOf3 (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you have Comcast Cable they have Exercise Tv on demand!!!
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 1:29 PM on Sep. 4, 2010