Relationships after death

Say an individual has really good friends in life. Are these people still considered that person's friend after the individual dies? For example, would you say, "So-and-so has really awesome friends", or would you say, "So-and-so had really awesome friends"? Would you consider a deceased friend to still be your friend as if that bond is not broken?

elena_rae

Asked by elena_rae at 11:31 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Ya but I believe that death is only a new beginning and they still exist, just not on earth in a body.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If a friend of mines passed I would say they were a great friend and I miss them dearly.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The act of "being" a friend requires just that ... "being". When we cease to "be" in this world, we cease to actively participate in things like friendship.
    Example: My husband was a wonderful partner and a wonderful father ... he IS no longer those things, because he is no longer alive.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 12:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Life is over, regardless of afterlife beliefs. If they're not actively participating in life, then it's past tense ... had, was, were
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 1:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My best friend was killed in 2005. She was the best friend I ever had, she was like a sister. I do believe she still exists, but when I refer to her I do use past tense. But I do believe I will see her on the other side. And she will still be my friend.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 6, 2010