What kinds of dinner conversations do you have?

Anyone have some interesting dinner conversation starters? I feel like dinner is always chaos for us, and by the time we actually sit down to eat- hubby and I just want to eat our food and be done. I just remember as a kid, my parents would always ask how our days at school were, etc. I try to do that, but I only have one school age kid... suggestions?

SAHMomOf3

Asked by SAHMomOf3 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• We play high-low, where everyone tells the best part of their day, and the worst part. Sometimes there are no lows, sometimes there are no highs. But the kids always look forward to their turn and can't wait to talk about their day. Even my three year old participates. Good luck mama, you have the right intention.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We talk about what we did, how school, work, home was, funny stories about school or something the dogs did. We talk about what we're going to do after dinner (what movie we'll watch, puzzles we'll put together). Kyra usually does most of the talking, she's the only kid, and in kindergarten.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• we have a jar that we use sometimes... I just have a lot of little strips of paper with one word written on it... like "apple" for example. And then a person draws out a piece of paper and tells a story (true or made up) that the word made them think of.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:35 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• One idea....... I've heard that some families ask what the best and worst part of the day was for everybody. I believe the Obamas call it roses and thorns.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:37 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We try to keep it positive at dinner with what we talk about. We have 3 toddlers so basically we try to tell each other how our days went and the funny things the kids/dog/we did but in between the talking were having to tell one of the kids to stop touching the other and explaining that they all have the same food and to stop throwing things on the floor for the dog and to etc etc lol
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We share the best part of our day, the worst, the funniest thing that happened, & what made us the happiest.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 4, 2010