Is this what you expected? How is your state?

The unemployment rate INCREASED in August to 9.6%o
*the U.S. economy shed 54,000 jobs,
*Private sector growth slowed from in July, dropping from an adjusted gain of 107,000 to 67,000,

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 11:40 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes it is what I expected. TX could be doing worse. We are bringing in new businesses and there are jobs to be had but we will have a deficit for the first time in a decade. As I have said before, Obamas programs are not helping. We could have done nothing and been better off than we are right now.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I know in June we were at 10.4%.. Which was an improvement, we had been up to nearly 12%,

I must be honest though. I feel the unemployment numbers are skewed and do not give an accurate view of what's truly happening in regards to unemployment. That percentage is solely the percentage of people who are receiving unemployment benefits. The number does not include: those whose benies have expired, those who never qualified for benies yet are unemployed, those the are now employed by employed PT/Contract/through temp/staffing agencies (who had been previously employed in FT jobs), or the numbers of people in this country that are "under employed" (the under employed in this country are probably the largest numbers in my opinion)

Employment conditions are much worse in this country than the official "unemployment" numbers make it look.

Yes, I was expecting this. This has been the path we were on for decades now.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• AZ unemployment rate is 9.6% so it matches the national average. Seems all those Mexicans "pouring into AZ" aren't causing a problem with the unemployment rate (I'm against SB 1070).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:57 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My state is still doing pretty well with relation to jobs. We are just overtaxed and real estate depressed.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• *The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks and over) declined by 323,000 over the month to 6.2 million. In August, 42.0 percent of unemployed persons had been jobless for 27 weeks or more.

*The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes referred to as involuntary part-time workers) increased by 331,000 over the month to 8.9 million. These individuals were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they were unable to find a full-time job.

*Among the marginally attached, there were 1.1 million discouraged workers in August, an increase of 352,000 from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) Discouraged workers are persons not currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them.
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

If someone could be so kind as to post clicky... My phone isn't letting the full editor to work.. ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 11:52 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I feel the unemployment numbers are skewed and do not give an accurate view of what's truly happening in regards to unemployment

~I agree with this. However, I also think this demonstrates our nation wasted 800 BILLION dollars by rushing though a stimulus.. We should have taken show methodical steps...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thanks for posting 'clicky' :o)
    grlygrlz2

• Minnesota has a rate of 6.8%...it was listed in the Top Ten rated states for employment opportunities. We seem to be doing well as a rule.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010