I think I have a yeast infection - but I've never had one before...

...and I'd reather treat it now before it gets worse. Do I HAVe to see a doctor first, or can I just try the OTC stuff? I can't get in to see the doc until Tuesday at the earliest - I could have it treated by then or it may be unbearable. So, do I go ahead and treat it, then if there is no improvement see the Doc Tuesday?? What would you do? Opinions please.... thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• I think I have one right now too. I have been using the OTC stuff because I have no plans of seeing the doctor. It seems to be improving and hopefully will continue to do so. Ithink your plan is the way to go.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They have the new test that tells you if you have or dont have a yeast infection.... you could try that or you could use the OTC but there is not point is using the OTC if you dont have one.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 11:47 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They have an OTC test kit. You just swab the stick up there a bit and it turns colors to let you know if you have a yeast infection or not, and then if it is you can just treat it with OTC meds and leave the doctor out.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Use the OTC test. If you don't have one, and you use the med. it will make it feel much worse. A bacterial infection feels much like a yeast infection. The test tells you if you have a yeast, bacterial, or suspected something else. It goes by Ph. And comes with anti-itch wipes. There's 2 tests in the kit. But no meds in it. And it tells you right away, no waiting.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 11:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you're not sure, and you've never had one before, you really should go to the doctor first - self-treating can be harmful if you're treating the wrong thing.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They don't get worse I don't think... They just suck... Vagisil has a take home tab test thing that will show whether you do or not. You can find it in the same section you find the yeast infection treatment. Also you can take a baking soda bath it is I believe when you soak your stuff in it and it help rebalance your PH levels
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would say wait to see the doctor b/c you have not had one before. But if you can't they have over the counter kit that can tell you what the problem is.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had one before. They are the worse. They recommend that if your not sure what it is, go to the doctor. Since the one I had was the 1st I wasn't sure so I went to the doctor and they confirmed. They also gave me some medicine and it was cleared up within a few days. You don't want to misdiagnose yourself. I suggest seeking a professional opinion.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 1:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010