I have had 2 miscarriages with chromosomal problems can I have another baby?

I have a healthy 1 year old but I got pregnant again when he was 3 months old and I lost it due to Trisomy 18. Then I waited and got pregnant again in June and lost it in August due to chromosomal problems I just wonder ifI can have a healthy baby again. Also I feel that both the lost babies were girls isit possible to not be able to make a girl with my husband?

christena06

Asked by christena06 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Uh no it's not possible to decide the gender of the baby, unless you want to do IVF. At this point, if you want another child then it would be best to go see a genetic counselor
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have the same feelings. I have 3 boys with a genetic disease and I had 3 miscarriages, were those girls? My son had a stillborn baby. Another son had a baby with the genetic disease. Now the son that had the stillborn baby has had a vasectomy and my third son has a vasectomy scheduled. They want no more defective babies that die or have to suffer the way they have all their lives.

What I suggest is waiting until your baby is 3. That is the age the World Health Org recommends waiting for ttc so you have recovered and there is a good womb environment for the new baby. Then when you get pregnant assume you will miscarry. Then if you don't it will be a great surprise. That's what I did with my 3rd pregnancy. I didn't attach to the pregnancy until 6 mo. Of course you could have a healthy baby./span>

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You should be seeing a specialist before yo try and get pg again. PERIOD
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I did some reading. Trisomy 18 isn't hereditary. You may have had way bad luck like I have way bad luck. Trisomy 18 may be as common as 1 in 3000 pregnancies. The disease we have is 1 in 50,000 people. So 1 in 3000 doesn't seem so rare to me but you just don't hear about it. Most babies with Trisomy 18 die before birth. If they die in early pregnancy testing may not be done and the mom my not know why the baby died. People don't talk about genetic problems and it can make you feel alone. 

I always wanted a girl. I enjoy my boys and my grandson but it's not the same.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have been through 1 stillbirth and 2 miscarriages due to genetic complications. My husband and I have 1 living healthy child and another one the way. If you have been seeing a geneticist and have had genetic testing done with your husband, then the doctor should be able to give you a ratio of your average chance of conceiving a healthy baby. That ratio was only determined to be 1:4 for us, but I am 31 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl! Best wishes!

PS- The sex of that baby should not matter. I have now lost and successfully conceived boys and girls.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Like Gaillll, our genetic disease is also very rare. The info that she posted about Trisomy 18 looks promising for your future pregnancies. Keep in mind that a geneticist will work with you before you are TTC if you have concerns. =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Seek the help of a genetic councelor to help put your mind at ease.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 4, 2010