Princesses

What is your opinion on girls watching princess movies? Personally, I am completely against it. I don't like the idea that if a girl stays young, pretty, and naive that some guy will come and sweep her off her feet. I think it leads girls to think it's ok to let men control their future.

oh and just fyi- I do not really consider myself a feminist or anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Some of them do make me cringe, but some don't, I think Pocahantis was a strong woman and also Tiana from the Princess and the Frog, she saved the prince and ended up having a successful restaurant based on hard work, and learned to love despite appearances.... they aren't all bad.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have boys, so it's not really an issue in my house.

That said, the princess movies give both positive and negative messages, although how much those affect a child's life depends on the messages they receive from their parents as well.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I love disney princesses, and i let my daughters love them to! Unfortunatly it is very sad that you feel that your daughters are too dense to make their own choices! Sad for them to be taught such silly things by you!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Um could care less! I dont' see how it can have a life term negative impact, unless of course someone is a shitty parent
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't see an issue. I watched Princess movies as a girl, always wanted to grow up to be one. But in the real world it can't happen and we all understand that at some point. I think they teach some beautiful things. Even my boys watch and love them... I have yet to understand how they have a "negative" message for girls... In anything I see it as the opposite! You don't see the bad girls, the nasty girls reaching their dreams, you see the kind, strong girls getting them... How is that a bad message?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I like the older Disney movies mainly for their artwork, second because they are based off of fairy tales that I love. I don't like the idea that a big strong man has to come and save you, or that you need a man to live happily ever after (or that there is such a thing) but I don't intend to reinforce those concepts so much that my children have that view of life. Overall, I don't see anything really wrong with them as a nice diversion or family movie night treat. I still like to watch the old Disney princess movies, and I do consider myself a feminist lol.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't approve of princess movies either. There's nothing strong, moral, or productive about being a princess. A princess CAN be those things. But the way kids see them, they're just pretty ladies who sing and wear dresses. DD told me "I'm not wearing a dress. I'm not a princess right now." It's just something worth idolizing. The word princess is usually directly associated with dresses, sparkles, make up, and jewelry. I don't like how appearance based that is. And the feminist in me doesn't like the whole saved-by-prince-charming concept either.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• To me there is so much other stuff to worry about today.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 12:18 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I think sometimes we read too much into cartoons. My DD could take or leave some of the Princess movies. She's more interested in Tinkerbell. However, she *has* seen some of them and I hardly think she's been scarred for life. More important than a cartoon is the day-to-day role models she sees - me, her grandmother, her aunts, my assistant GS leader, the female pastor at our church, her teacher, family friends, her female doctor, her gymnastics coach, etc and so on. These are all strong, independent, compassionate, intelligent woman who model the idea that you can be and do whatever you want. Some are married. Some aren't.

Also, the more modern Princess movies portray fairly strong women. We watch them and if we feel it's needed, we discuss the highlights and the 'low lights.'
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm not a fan of princess movies, but they are just movies! I was never big into that girly stuff. I liked barbie dolls but playing in the dirt with my dump truck had them beat!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010