Relationships after death

Say an individual has really good friends in life. Are these people still considered that person's friend after the individual dies? For example, would you say, "So-and-so has really awesome friends", or would you say, "So-and-so had really awesome friends"? Would you consider a deceased friend to still be your friend as if that bond is not broken?

elena_rae

Asked by elena_rae at 12:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think, from a grammatical and psychological standpoint, it is proper to refer to a deceased person in the past tense. To continue to them in the present tense not only confuses your audience by implying the person is still alive, but it also implies that the speaker is not aware of or has not come to terms with the person's death.

I think we all recognize that the bonds with our friends and family do not end at death.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• A deceased friend can no longer participate in friendship, but the feeling will always be there and the memories to relive it.

Answer by older at 12:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Perfect answer, geminilove. Thanks. :)
    elena_rae

Comment by elena_rae (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I believe we are all connected and as friends/family we will still be connected no matter what life we are living(I believe in reincarnation). So friends and family here will still be a part of our lives after death and after rebirth.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i would say he was a good friend.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would still love those that I have loved in this lifetime or in any other. I might not be married to my soulmate there, but it wouldn't change the fact that he is my soulmate.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'd say our bond will never be broken but refer to him as past tense because he's not physically here anymore.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 2:19 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Had. They aren't present anymore to maintain those friendships, etc.

Does that go for tangible objects like houses and cars too. DHs and SOs? No, obviously those these all move on to something else (ownerships or relationships)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:50 AM on Sep. 4, 2010