Anyone induce lactation?

Will be carrying as a surrogate. The mother CANNOT induce lactation for herself. We know that when baby is born I will be pumping, but will not be able to produce enough before baby/babies go home to not need to supplement.. The mom will purchase BMilk from a bank if its needed. However I thought what if I can induce lactation in myself come say month 8 of pregnancy. That way she will have frozen milk when baby/babies come home & wont have to purchase from a bank at $4+ an Oz!

Has anyone induced lactation? I know there are drugs- would they be safe during pregnancy?
I will contact my ob- just figured Id ask here first!

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 12:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is recommend to not start pumping before you have a baby or babies. You can put yourself into labor. It is best to wait till after baby is here.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Are you going to continue to pump after the baby leaves? I was able to pump for about 2 months after my twins were born and then it started to go down.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Can I ask why she can't induce on her?

You can't pump while pregnant..too much of a preterm labor chance.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No. It could throw you into labor.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Pumping in late pregnancy is not recommended, and the herbs/medicines taken to increase lactation are NOT safe during pregnancy. She could start taking the herbs (fenugreek and blessed thistle, 3 each 3 times a day, is most common) and pumping around the due date, and then start latching the baby on after birth. Has she spoken with an IBCLC about starting lactation? Is there a medical reason she can't induce lactation?

Also there is a site called http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/ that she can go to and get free bm donations fom other pumping moms in her area.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i recommend her talking to the bfing group and the pumping exclusively groups on here. also, here is a link to kellymom about this very thing...http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html. it's about adoptive women wanting to bfed the baby and how to help get lactation going. she needs to get started now though.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Some people dont read.. She CANT do it herself. She CANNOT go on any medications as her body has horrible reactions to most everything- same reason why I will be carrying her child instead of her!
    pinkcicle709

Comment by pinkcicle709 (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010