Should Glen Beck speak for Christians?

In my opinion Christians are accepting the media version of Christianity which, at best is a "generically theistic civil religion, and at worst, some partisan political movement..."
(http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/current-events/op-ed-blog/22717-should-glenn-beck-speak-for-christians)

How can people know what the Gospel is actually about when we let political figure heads stand up and be "our voice"?

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 12:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, Christians should be very discerning on what they listen to and take into consideration. As far as whether he should speak for Christians, well, he can say whatever he would like to, but I don't think Christians should be characterized by what Glenn says. I don't think that people should think that because Glenn Beck is that way, and speaks about what he does, that it means Christians are that way. Glenn Beck is mormon, that is not true orthodox christianity anyway. But I mean, as far as we know, we still have at least a little bit of our freedom of speech left, and he has the right to say whatever he wants.
    vallygirl1979

Answer by vallygirl1979 at 10:14 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• LOL... Glen Beck shouldn't speak for anyone...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 12:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He can speak for anyone he wants, I guess, but I question anyone that would allow any media entertainer to speak on their behalf.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Should Glen Beck speak for Christians?

As much as any one person can speak for any large group of people.  Like Obama speaking for Democrats or Bush speaking for Republicans.  Maybe even like the dog whisperer speaking for dog owners.  Why are we all so quick to subscribe to the thought that if you slightly agree on any issue that you are somehow all of a sudden a follower?  I don't know any reason why he shouldn't speak for Christians seeing as how he claims to be one, but you are welcome to take it or leave it as you see fit.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He can speak all he wants..

It's up to those listening to decide whether or not he speaks for them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Nobody speaks for me when it comes to my faith..well..I would probably let my pastor! Beck speaks for himself and anyone that allows him to speak for them.

OP, imho we strayed from the true message a long time ago. With the new generation of "I don't have a problem with it" it will only get worse.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• "... How can people know what the Gospel is actually about when we let political figure heads stand up and be "our voice"? ..."

This could be said of EVERY idea and event which is mentioned in the news media ... their coverage creates for the public their understanding of the story. For instance are tea party-ers violent haters like the media keeps saying? (Factually not, but many people believe the media.

I have heard Glenn Beck emphasize constantly that he is not abrogating to himself any position of authority, he constantly says, "This is how it looks to me".

For SOOO long the mention of ideas with a spiritual basis has been silenced by being treated as if it were in poor taste. ... In the case of schools, religion has been prohibited as if it is more harmful than porn !

I am thrilled that this whole aspect of life is even being brought into the public discussion.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Beck, like anyone, does have the right under the 1st Amendment to express his opinion.

What worries me is the near messianic fervor that some of his admirers have for him. We set ourselves up for a horrible fall when we put that kind of a burden on anyone's shoulders. In the rally last Saturday, Beck spoke about "firm reliance on divine providence". If I claim to be a believer in Christ, my reliance needs to be on him and not on a human being.

And anyone we choose to support, we need to check and see if, when they present facts, those facts are correct.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 2:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm not a fan of his but Freedom of Speech is guaranteed to everyone, even those you don't like. And, by the way, nowhere does he say he is speaking for all Christians, he said the words "in my opinion."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Glenn Beck can speak as he pleases. He speaks for HIMSELF and If someone doesn't want to consider his points then they don't have to listen. No one is saying Glenn Beck is the go to man for Christianity. If people want to follow him in any way or listen to his speakings it is their business.
    Should you be judging someone whom you know nothing about?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010