can i feed my son orange juice when he is sic?

what is good to give a sic 21 monthold baby?

MommieOfOnly2

Asked by MommieOfOnly2 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I dont' see why you wouldn't be able to give him OJ. You can get pedialite as well and lots of water, stay away from the milk if he's sick.
    littlestar85257

Answer by littlestar85257 at 12:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Depends what is wrong with him. For most sickness, keeping hydrated is important, so you should give him water or pedialyte. As far as vitamin C goes, theres actually more in a green pepper than in orange juice, so try to sneak that into his food. Also, orange juice is very acidic, if he has a sore throat or an upset stomach, it can make it worse.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• yeah orange juice is fine. if hes never had it you may want to water it down the first time to make sure the acid wont cause a rash. my 15 month old drinks oj and is fine with it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If he is vomiting the acid in the OJ can bother his stomach. The BRAT diet is no longer recommended. We freeze juice like cranberry cherry so my todd grandson will eat it slow and not gulp when he is vomitting. He is breastfed so he can still get his nutrition from breastmilk when he is sick.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I give my DD orange juice and apple juice when she's sick. But if he has a sore throat, I don't recommend the orange juice because it will irritate his already sore throat due to the acid. To keep him hydrated, you could also try watering the orange juice down, plain water and what the other ladies are saying, Pedialyte. I hope your son feels better. I know how much it sucks when our LO's are sick. My DD is 24 months.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It depends on what kind of "sick" he is. I would personally never drink it if I've got an upset stomach (puking or close to) because it tastes TERRIBLE coming back up, and the acid makes it burn too. I use about the same guidelines when deciding what to feed DD when she's sick.

That's one reason it's usually referred to as "clear liquids". They just tend to be easier on the stomach.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• thanks everyone.
    MommieOfOnly2

Comment by MommieOfOnly2 (original poster) at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree it does depend on what is going on. If your child is vomiting OJ is NOT a good choice because you don't want him vomiting that back up with OJ being acidic. Most of the time for vomiting always start with clear liquids, pedialite, gatorade, water, chicken broth, jello, and popiscles. With a cold, runny nose and such the folic acid is very good for your child and will help but just be aware that it might upset his stomach so just give the OJ with crackers.
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• he isnt puking, he has a clear runny nose, he is coughing allot even waking up coughing, is vicks bad to put on his chest? is vicks bad to have in his cleanexes?his eyes are red you can see the sicness in his eyes and energy, he gets up to play but if he gets hert he balls like he got hert bad when all he did was fall!
    MommieOfOnly2

Comment by MommieOfOnly2 (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with giving him oj
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010