How do I handle my son when he hits me when he doesn't get what he wants????

My son says no and mine allot too. He is a good kid though too but in that trouble twos

Goodmom303

Asked by Goodmom303 at 12:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't give him what he wants when he hits. If you do, that just reinforces the hitting behavior. Put him in time out and tell him why.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 12:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• never give in! if he hits put him in his crib.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I grab his hand (I don't hurt him obviously), make him look me in the eye and say "No! We don't hit! It's not nice" then I make him apologize and he sits in time out for 2 minutes.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have to grab his hand and firmly tell him NO HITTING, that hurts and we do not do it.. then place him in time out.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• So at that age they are ok to be introduced to time outs if you havent already started and with hitting they say that your supposed to as soon as they do it take theyre hand and so NO HITTING and say use nice hands and show them something nice they can do with theyre hands like playing with a different toy or something like that and if they keep it up then you set them in a timeout and explain that you asked them to use theyre nice hands and that it hurts when you hit people
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My kids get time outs. I tell them that it is not ok to hit and it hurts to hit.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my mom lightly hit me back until i'd stop (apparently) and get the message. It was never anything abusive, but enough to annoy a little kid whose being a turd
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You get down on your knees, take both of his hands and tell him that hitting is not ok. Then you tell him that he will get a timeout if he does it again. If he does it again, you take both hands, tell him the he's getting a time out for hitting and put him there. No matter how many times he gets up, you keep putting him back and tell him that he will have to stay there until his timout us over so the longer he tries to fight it, the longer it will take. DON"T GIVE IN or you will have to start over again. It's a power struggle and he needs to know that mom is the power.
    Once his fufills the timeout, you again get down to his level and tell him why he was in timeout and MAKE him apologize to you. Then hugs and kisses
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If a child can't understand not to hit they can't understand time-outs. Spanking is never a good idea.

Try not to say no. Figure out ways of talking with (not to) your son so that you don't need to say no. Anticipate and avoid problematic situations. Give him small choices so he feels like he has some power. Be smarter than the toddler. Here is a famous article about saying no.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• establish a time out chair, label it the time out chair and don't let him sit in it unless he's in trouble (that way it remains the time out chair only). When he hits you or talks back put him in the chair (caregivers recommend 1 minute per year of age). If he misbehaves while in the chair, the time starts over. It'll take a few days for him to get the hang of it, and he'll end up sitting in the chair for 30 minutes probably (my daughter did) but after he knows whats going on, he'll behave.
    Hope it works for you!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010