Does anyone do medical billing and coding?

I am thinking about getting into that, because I could do it at home. I was just wondering what all you have to do. The local college here offers courses in it, but i thought I would ask all of you, too.

A.Perry

Asked by A.Perry at 12:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have heard that working in coding is really difficult to do from home until you get some experience and some credentials. I am currently getting my associates because I wanted to do just that but I am becoming increasingly discouraged. It seems like it is really popular and not that easy to get into.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have my AAS in HIT and I am a RHIT in this position I can be a coder. The first thing to know is that right now they are making a transition from ICD-9-CM to ICD-10-CM, which is changing most of the current codes, and adding 6th and 7th digit to the codes, so everyone who knows the ICD-9 has to relearn the ICD-10. It is a good thing if you are just getting into college you will learn the new way to do it. It can be difficult for some as there are different types of coding. Such as inpatient coding using ICD-9, or outpatient coding using CPT coding and HCPCS codes, as well as coding for office visits which uses ICD-9 and E/M codes to code for billing. There is a lot to learn with this, however it is a growing area.
    It is very difficult to work from home as a coder right away though, most reputable companies would want you to have at least 3 years experience and have a 98% accuracy rate.
    Good luck it you decide to do it.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• One of my bookkeeping clients is a medical office and I have started doing coding and billing from them once a week. It took me about two hours to learn how to do this. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:25 PM on Sep. 4, 2010