Christians: do you believe that "secular" art/books/movies/TV can have redemptive themes?

For example, some pastors today will use movie clips to illustrate their sermons.
What is your view on this? Do you find it helpful? Do you have any favorite examples?

One of my friends is a minister and she used the scene from "Fight Club" with the lye on the hand as an illustration of surrender.

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 12:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Oh my head.. too big of words... omg its easier being Atheist, dont have to think about any of this stuff lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• um... yes. just like some christians do not ACT in a moral way, many non-christian can be very morally sound. i don't think there is anything wrong with it.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 12:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I am an atheist, yet I clearly saw the christian themes in the Harry Potter books and movies. The least important person on the planet becomes the MOST important. Patience and humility is taught when Harry refuses to rise to the torment heaped on him by his enemies. Perseverance is taught as he discovers his own power and uses it for good. In the last book, his sacrifice for the good of his people allows him to be ressurected and to fight against his world's greatest evil, Voldemort. He brings salvation and protection. Yet christians ignore these elements, focusing on the magic. But yeah, I think that Kirk Cameron's new career in religiously-themed films is driven by the preachers who make use of film clips to "teach".
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I do believe that secular media can have redemptive (and other positive) themes. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sure, secular does not equal bad. We used the Indiana Jones scene where he walks across the invisible bridge with our youth group several years back to illustrate faith.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• hahaha witchqueen--- I sincerely hope that Kirk Cameron is not our best example of a Christian artist! Otherwise we're in trouble!
    elizabiza

Comment by elizabiza (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes I have asked God to show me things in secular films and He always does.

Kirk Cameron is gifted in what he does. I am just glad there are Christians in the film industry and more of them are coming out in the open with a desire to see better films on screen that actually share Christ! The Blindside is one of those examples of a very good film with a redemptive theme. Fireproof is aimed at marriage and restoration. Passion of Christ is an obvious one but did you know Gladiator is a redemptive film as well as Spartucus?
    As for movies like Avatar or even Pixar films have a message. There is a lot more but I cant think of it
    As for the Harry Potter films you are right there are christian like themes in there but the message God had me hear and see is how the demonic realm operates and affects believer and non believers. Now that was mind blowing. continued....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes I did see the first four films but it was during a dark night of the soul period of my life. God spoke to me through those films to show me what the effect the enemy has on people's lives and how devious a heart can become.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• All literature has essentially the same theme, good versus evil, triumph over tragedy etc. So yes there can be redemptive value if it made you think and maybe left an impression that caused you to change something in yourself or how you may view others etc.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes I think they can. Harry Potter was a good example of that like someone mentioned earlier.
    Zoe_Faith

Answer by Zoe_Faith at 6:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010