what can i do about my daughter back talking she does this daily about things that arnt even important

aprilred143

Asked by aprilred143 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It's unfortunately a phase that all girls go through...there's not really much you can do other than telling her that behavior like that won't be tolerated =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• And it's not just girls.....my son does it too and he's 13yrs old. I just let him know that I will not talk to him if he's going to use that tone or argue. He can come to me when he's ready to speak to me in an acceptable manner. If that don't work privileges start getting taken away.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Pop her in the friggin mouth. I learned FAST to not back talk after I got popped a few times. I don't believe in that spare the rod and spoil the child crap. If you don't want to pop her a good one then start taking things away. TV, Cell phone, regular phone, computer, weekend fun. I used to HATE that, and it really helped my bratty ass attitude. She may get pissed at you, but she'll understand someday. I used to get so mad but now that I'm going to be a mommy I understand my parents a lot more.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• back when my kids were young I'd ask them if they liked where their teeth were located. That would get their attention. I would then ask if they'd like to rephrase their question or remarks. They always did. I never had to reposition a tooth in their head for which I am greatful. Sometimes hormones make them act out and they don't realize they are being horrid. I just brought it to their attention and allowed them to think about what they were saying and to whom. If they repeated it in a rude manner then we would have had problems but we never did. I would say ignore it but not sure with teens if they accept that as tolerance of their bad behavior. Would it work if you asked her if that's how she'd like to be talked to? I hear using an electric cattle prod on teens is not acceptable. Too bad! lol

Answer by admckenzie at 7:11 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Teens don't have the mature filter we hopefully grow into. They're still learning how to react. I've learned from my daughter she's rarely aware of her attitudes and behaviors, and when I bring it to her attention in a gentle manner, is more attentive of how she's feeling, her hormone schedules, etc. I told my daughter, that's still no excuse. She wouldn't dare talk to her friends, her teachers, or her pastor that way so sure as heck is not allowed to talk to me that way! When she does, she loses whatever is important to her: cell phone, electronics. What really gets her attention, is when I say, "You do that again and I'm calling Grandma!" Grandma's disapproval is worse than anything else. The other thing I've done is allow her friends over, but they have to stay in the room WITH ME, and do what I'm doing. She's too embarrassed to act out in front of her friends like that. It really works!
    ChefMom94

Answer by ChefMom94 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• any time i did that i got popped, i learned not to back talk.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 8:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• What does she talk back about??
    phoebematthew

Answer by phoebematthew at 8:41 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Well i have no idea how to stop it...my dd is going to be 14 on Oct 14th and we have been dealing with this for almost two years now...
    What i do is to let her know that she will get nowhere talking to me in a smart ass tone...i will completely ignore her when she does. She is welcome to let me know how she feels about something..I encourage her to let her feelings be known..however as her mother i demand that she do it with respect..or she will not be heard....
    It's not always effective but as someone else stated as she matures I am hoping she will learn to be less dramatic and whiny when speaking to me..
    one can always hope anyway.....
    Karena460

Answer by Karena460 at 12:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• I have an answer,ity worked for my girls and it will probally work for yours...........

my kids used to get beat up by their grandma and I wanted the thing to work better seince at the time to get them into her house and mom refused to stop hitting them w/extension cords

I told my girlsthat if they got attemped to say something smart instead go upstairs and beat their pillow,cry into it,shout whatever thery had to do to keep the peace.....but m,y boys they are a another subject

my mother is dead......THANK GOD
    momwteens1970

Answer by momwteens1970 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My daughter also does it. I sat her down and told her if she wants respect then she needs to give.
    And if she wants to be treat fairly then I expect the same back.
    Also her step-father hate how she treats me(oh the teenage years). He use to also get her a snack or whatever she wanted from whereever we where. Now that her mouth is a walking insult machine, he doesn't do that so much.
    (I was the same way at her age,but I'm not telling her that.
    Faerieivy

Answer by Faerieivy at 2:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2008