How does the Dr. know when you are about to have your baby?

I am due on Nov. 14th. This was the date given to me by my dr. based on my LMP during my first dr.'s appt. He did explain to me that my last LMP could have not been a real period, that happens sometimes (although I know my body and it WAS a real period...heavy and long). Anyway...if it WASNT real, and I conceived in say late Jan...my due date would be about 10/20. Since babies can be born two week before up to two weeks after a due date...how does he know when I should have this baby? For example...if i WAS due on 10/20, but hes thinking I am going to have the baby on the 14th of Nov...and say Nov. 7th comes around and I am almost THREE weeks overdue....how does he know that I am overdue, and not "coming up" on my due date? This was hard to explain, i hope you understand what I am trying to convey.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• in your ultra sound if the baby messured different then predictied they shoudl had said something
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It is all estimations. The ultrasound measurements do help , but they too can be innacurate, within a few weeks difference. I would say just be prepared for anytime withint the dates you are guessing. That baby knows when its ready and will come when its due. I would just get frequent visits if you are ''late'', just to be sure things are all good and well.
    Anonymous

• i'm one week overdue and I was asking my doctor the same thing- He was talking about a Cesarean but I was concerned because what if he's off on the date and the baby really isn't due until later?? What if he's off on the date. But he reassured me that with all of the ultra sounds done- they can give a pretty accurate date. They shouldn't go by your last menstrual date- they go by the sonograms nowadays.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 6:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008