Army Reserves, DH is thinking of joining...what sacrifices can I expect to make?

He is wanting to join the army reserves. I want to know what I will have in store for me and my family. Anything you would like to share would be great. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Reserves during peace time? Not much except his 2 week training once a year
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 12:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Reserves ARE STILL deploying, my husband is active duty army for 8 years now. you can expect that he will be gone for 3-10 months (depending on what job he choses) for basic training and AIT( advanced job training for his specific job) he will have to go to promotional schools at certian times to make rank, his 2 weeks during the summer, 1 weekend a month. they also may do feild operations for maybe a couple of weeks. I am not sure about that, but it is possible. They also probably get very busy and aren't home very much when gearing up for deployment, usually 2-4 months before the deployment it gets real busy! sometimes that pre-deployment training is out of state (even my husband has gone to other bases to get ready for deployments). but other than that, I know it sounds a lot it isn't, you should have a "normal life."
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sorry had to continue on to this one...also the reserves only get tricare (the insurence) when they are activated for active duty (usually deployments) you MAY have the option to purchase and pay for tricare out of pocket while he is not activated and only doing his reserve training, I am not totally sure. But you should still have an ID card to have access to military bases and benefits that the military offers.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Army Reserves? High chances of year long deployments.

Tell him to think about the Air National Guard instead. Expect 2 weeks of annual training and 1 weekend a month. Depending on his job, many deployments are voluntary and are tyically 90 days "boots on the ground."
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ok but even in the Air NG he will still have to do all the other things listed, only difference apparently is deployments.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Deployment is likely depending on his MOS.  Read the following article.

What's in store for you is that you have to rasie your children by yourself and hopefully you have some sort of support on where you are at.  You have to be prepared to handle everything concerning the home. 

Good luck in making that major decision. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was in the Reserves... he will have to go to Basic Training ( 2 1/2 months) and AIT ( that depends on what his MOS ( job) is... then it would be 1 weekend a month unless his unit gets deploy....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010