having a drink or two in the evening...

do any other Moms do this? I want to but i only have a couple times because it makes me feel liek a bad Mom...I know Im not though...but does anyone else put the kids to bed and then have a couple drinks to wind down before bed? How often? what do you drink?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Me and my hubby drink on the weekends, and BBQ with friends while the kids play, and then when they go to bed we all play cards! When I am not pregnant we have BBqs every weekend and we are beer drinkers! Its only bad when you , leave your kids to go drink!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I personally don't think there is anything wrong with it... but the thing that stands out to me in your question is that you are feeling somewhat guilty about it. To me that's a problem. I'd ask yourself why you're feeling this way: did you have a parent or relative that was an alcoholic and its bringing up bad memories? are you being honest with yourself about how much you are drinking? is it having a negative impact on any of your relationships?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well Im pregnant right now.. so no.. but when I wasn't pregnant, I rarely drank when my kids were there. I would occasionally have some drinks after they were fast asleep, but not often at all.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sometimes. Not more than a couple of times a month though. I don't feel bad about it either. I don't drink unless my husband is home or on his way home from work.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If I really want a beer at night I will have ONE and I don't feel guilty over one beer occasionally. Sometimes you just NEED one! But not while I was Pregnant. I can't drink hard liquor, even one makes me feel terrible.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'll have a few beers after the kids have gone to bed, or on weekends if we're cooking out. I drink wine when we have dinner parties. I don't see anything wrong with it at all - you're a legal adult and are allowed to drink a few adult beverages if you choose. There are some women that think this means I'm a bad mom, to each his own, I think it's ridiculous.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with it. I may drink a few beers about once a week.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I very rarely drink, but just because I get drunk easily and don't like the feeling of being drunk anymore. I see nothing wrong with a drink or two though, occasionally.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My husband and I have made habit of putting the kids to bed and then enjoying a drink while we chat about the day.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sometimes, but I always make sure my son is in bed & theres someone in the house whos sober.. even if i just have one drink. but thats just me. My stepfather was a drunk, soo I kinda worry about stuff like that.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010