We just moved and the dog is freaking out...

How can I stop her from digging at the back door while we are away? She didn't do this at the old house.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pets

• Having been a Navy wife I've been through this a lot of times with my dogs. They always freak out when we first move and they need a lot of love and attention before they settle down. They are confused and scared and they wonder if you will come back to the new house. It helps to put them on a leash and walk them around so they can see their new neighborhood and get used to it. Also just pet them a lot, give them treats when they are good, let them sleep on the bedroom floor if that makes them feel more secure. She is digging at the door because she is frantic to find you. My malamute ruined the blinds in our new house frantically looking for me. You may have to consider going to the vet and getting her some sedatives if she doesn't calm down soon. And I don't know how much dogs understand but I always explain to mine where I am going and when I will be back, it does seem to help.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 8:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• put her in her kennel while your gone... she might feel safer in there
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I hear ya! I moved last weekend and the dog is driving me crazy! He is non-stop licking his paws. I think they experience stress differently, such as digging and licking. Give him some time to adjust. Did you bring all his old stuff, such as blankets, bedding, etc?? I found simply giving him a chew toy kind of takes his mind off of it. After five days, he is much better.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• She's not kennel trained.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is time to make some new memories for your pet at the new place. Also,animals think you are leaving them. Bring out the toys, the bed, and anything that is from the old place. Dogs have all the same fears as humans do.
    JOCKEYP2PMOM

Answer by JOCKEYP2PMOM at 1:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yep, same thing I was going to suggest, put her in her kennel or, if you trust her enough, you could just give her open door access to her kennel. Our dogs have open door access to their kennels at all times. It is their safe place and where they go when they don't want to be bothered. Maybe having access to her safe, familar kennel when you are away will help her to feel more safe, even if you don't lock her in it. If you don't use a kennel, then it may be time to start getting her used to one.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We don't have a kennel.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We moved from SC to FL in January and my dogs didn't freak out. Of course one of them had lived in the house before (it belonged to my FIL and I had lived with him for about 6 months a few years ago). They just don't like it when you lock them up in one room while you're gone. As long as they're free to roam around in the house, they're good to go. I hope your dog starts getting used to the house soon!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You might want to get a kennel or keep the dog confined until it adjusts.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You say you don't have a kennel.. maybe it's time to start kennel training then. She sounds like she is stressed, scared and nervous in her new home. Her kennel would be HERS and she would be comfortable in it. Good luck
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 6:49 PM on Sep. 4, 2010