How much should i pay the babysitter...?

My daughter is 7 weeks old. Not colicky...pretty easy baby. If i am out from 8pm to 12 midnight how much should i pay the babysitter?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think $5 an hour is more than adequate. I pay sitters $5 an hour and they play and clean up after my child. I also provide snacks if they need them. You can start with a base rate and see how your sitter does and adjust from there. When I babysit I get $5/hr as well and don't expect anymore than that and I have credentials coming out of my ears.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• $5 an hour is the going rate around here, for good reliable sitters with references.
    snivic

Answer by snivic at 1:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• HOLY WOW $10.00 an hour, that is crazy I would never pay that much. I would pay about $20, if the sitter is coming to your house, then you are also providing snacks and drinks for them as well.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 1:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think $10 an hour is pretty standard
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would pay $20-$25..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'd give her about $30.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Depends on how many kids you have to being watched. $5.00 is good for the fist one and $2.75 for the each child after that. But.. it depends also on what the sitter has done to actually earn it. I would get paid good for just watching the kids. But i would get paid extemely well if i actually did things like cleaning up after the kids, doing the dishes, bathing the kids. things like that. I never liked coming home to a messy house after the kids were in bed and the sitter left. So i asked her to do some cleaing up and she would get paid more then. I would start there.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 1:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• $5/hr is very descent if you ask me. The baby will spend much of the time sleeping anyways. 8 years ago I got a baby sitting job for two kids for 3 hours every tuesday and I got $9. After a couple years they raised it to $10. I was happy with that they were sleeping much of the time and I got time to read/do homework/watch tv.
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Talk to other mothers around that area. I live in a high cost living area of course babysitting will be higher pay.
    Several questions to ask yourself Will you be putting the baby down to bed before you go to work? Is so lesser pay. Because the babysitter will be doing nothing with your baby. Are you going to be providing snacks for your sitter? Do you expect him or her to clean up after him or herself ( out of respect the babysitter should do that anyways).
    Will the babysitter be changing any diapers? If you don't put the baby down before you go to work. How much interaction do you expect the babysitter do with your baby?
    How many days a week?
    How are they going to your house and leaving? Are you expecting someone to babysit your child old enough to drive? Are you going to pay for their gas too?
    Good Luck!

bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 1:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• $5 an hour here too, for good responsible babysitters.

findingharmony

Answer by findingharmony at 1:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010