field trips

my son has a field trip tomorrow. it involves going to a town about an hour away to a park. and for some reason i have that "uh oh" feeling. my kids been on several field trips through school and daycare and gone out with friends and i never really worried cept for the usual " ihope they have fun and hope they behave" i keep telling myself that everything will be ok but i cant shake this bad feeling. we had several incidences at this park the past few years where ppl had been abducted and some found dead. maybe im being paraniod... not sure. would you listen to that gut feeling and keep him home or ignore and let him go. he is in a big class of 32 kids in kindergarten

bonnie-jo

Asked by bonnie-jo at 6:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Trust your gut! That's what it's there for! We have a similar park in our town that is known for not being the safest and I don't know that I would let my child go. What's the educational value of the field trip? Are they just going to get out of class or are they actually going to do something related to the curriculum at school? I'm normally the one who says "I just hope he behaves" but I've never gotten a bad feeling about a field trip either. Good luck!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Maybe you can go with him so he don't feel left out .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 6:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• the problem is i have 2 younger kids and cant really go along
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I would take my younger one with me on my sons trip . Couldn't ride the bus with her but I could drive to the place they was going .
    katherine4

Answer by katherine4 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• something tells me to tell you to trust your gut instincts. You are the mom and we feel for our children. One other thing, do you know how many chaperones there are.?
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My son is also in kindergarden & he is going on a trip this Thursday and I am going with him because I don't feel right. So if you can't go I would go with your gut feeling and keep him home.
    rosie823

Answer by rosie823 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• only 4 including teachers (thats between the 2 classes got about 30 in the other class too) and there will be lots of other schools there also
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thats not enough grownups for 4 in a park area. Thats a whole lot of Kindergartners for 4 people in a park. Stick with your gut
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Not only would I keep him home, I would call the principal and say why. Bad choice on the teacher's part.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i would definetly trust your gut feeling..mothers intsticts are usually right..if you cant make the trip to be there with him, then keep him home..and i agree 4 chaperones is not NEARLY enuff!! my daughters only in preschool, and when they go on field trips they make sure a good number of the parents are going as well..the more eyes the better!! i would talk to the principal..its not safe, especially going to a park..there needs to be more eyes there watching every thing!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:09 AM on Oct. 13, 2008