Dog went into neighbors yard.. Doesnt have tags, what should I do?

A dog walked into my neighbors yard, they arent home right now.. I checked and he doesnt have any tags. Its a small dog, really old.. Its tounge is hanging out and one of its legs is messed up.. I shut the gate so the dog wouldnt get hit just wandering around. I was hoping the owner might be out looking and see it in there, but its been two hours and noone has found him yet. I know once my neighbors come home theyre gonna be like "WTF is this!!!" lol.. So, what should I do?? I dont want the poor thing to get hit! I cant bring him in my yard bc I have 3 dogs myself. & Theyre going nuts bc they know hes out there.. What to do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pets

• I agree with calling animal control and giving him water in the meantime. Poor little guy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Give him some water, put a note on your neighbor's front door, and call animal control. If I was looking for my dog, I'd pray someone did the same for me. He may be so far from home that his people aren't looking in your neighborhood and he can't get home himself.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Take it to the pound or call the humane society. That dog sounds like it needs help!
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Call your local animal control if you are that concerned. If the people are seriously looking for him, they will call the pound. If he is a local pet, then he probably knows his way home. But, if he was dumped, then most likely not. But, for his safety and the neighborhood's safety, I'd call animal control.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Bring him/her to a shelter if you can't keep a dog. That's the only thing I can think of, but I feel bad for that poor old dog being let loose like that. Or you could call animal control if your unable to take her yourself. Good luck hon and nice of you to shelter this poor furbie.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 1:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Do you think maybe the dog knows where his home is? Like if I let him out of the yard, do you think he will make it home safely?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Mine would know how to get home.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He has a harness and flea collar, so I know he isnt homeless.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Take him to the SPCA or call Animal Control. Just tell them that the dog's wearing a flea collar and a harness, so he's obviously not homeless. Maybe they can take him in until the owner comes looking for him.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would call Animal Control or one of the other shelters.
    Zoe_Faith

Answer by Zoe_Faith at 6:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010