How old was your child when you first let them try shellfish?

So far the only fish my DD has eaten are Tilapia, Salmon and canned Tuna. She has also eaten fish sticks before. We are going to a place sometime soon where the only thing they offer are shrimp, crabs and oysters. My aunt is allergic to shellfish and I'm just kind of nervous about my DD being allergic too. She's 24 months old.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Mine were all very young too. But we have no allergies in our family. I would call my pediatrician today & ask what they thought. With a family member who has the allergy, I'd be a little concerned too. If finding out in time just doesn't happen or you just don't feel comfortable with the risk, take your own food for your DD. Some nicely cut up finger foods and such will keep her occupied and fed without worries.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He was 11 months. The American Academy of Pediatrics says its ok for them to have it if there is no shellfish allergy in the famile once they are over 6 months. I waited a bit just in case though..lol..My son is 14 months and loves fish, crab, shrimp, and lobster! And its good for them too :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Both my girls have not yet. They are 6 yr old(soon to be 7) and 3 yrs old. I just not ready yet.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Right around 2 I let all 3 of them try some, they did fine.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son is 19 months and the only reason he hasn't tried it is that we haven't come across it yet, since I don't cook shellfish myself. But I also have no history of allergy in my family so I have been a little cautious, but not too worried about allergies. Maybe let her try something EARLY in the evening, so you can watch her carefully and get her to a doc if you need to.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Around 2 years
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• mm I think my son was about 2 when he had a fish stick, then 3 when he had actual fish and shrimp and crab. doesnt like the fish or shrimp, but loves crab
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 2:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Are you INSANE? "Good" for you? They're BOTTOM FEEDERS.

That aside, we have shellfish allergies, and though the kids LOVE fish- have eaten it frequently and from about a year old, they will not taste shellfish in my home. I am highly allergic. AND, it's a BOTTOM FEEDER.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My LO's have eaten shrimp. They all started around a year old.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 3:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My daughter started when she was around 2. She took some shrimp off my plate and ate it. My other two won't touch it, but I think that is because I was deveining some and told my daughter I was taking out the turd when she asked what I was doing.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010