What is the penalty for a "sham" marriage?

A family member married her "boyfriend" after knowing him for only five days. He is here on a student visa, but he was no longer going to school. She has kept this a secret from most of the family and I only know because I happened across the marriage license in the newspaper. It has been two months since they wed and she is no longer "with" him.

How much trouble will she be in if they prove it was a marriage only to give him a reason to stay in the county?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a Federal Offense - if they're caught they face stiff fines, deportation, and even jail time. If you Google immigration laws you may find out more, I remember this from an article I just read about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• have they not seen "The Proposal"
    CorbinsMomma

Answer by CorbinsMomma at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Major trouble and if you know about it and dont report it.. you may get in trouble too.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm pretty sure it is a federal offense. Meaning, fed time, I suppose. That was stupid on your fam members part. Sucks you know now though. I hope you don't get caught in the middle.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Fraud big time trouble.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Penalties include imprisonment, astronomical fines, and the denial of future immigration benefits

Answer by older at 4:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010