• In the Spotlight:

How long does PPD last??

i had my first baby almost 6 months ago. at first i had 'the baby blues' like most mothers do, so i got on lexipro. things seem to be ok most of the time, but usually out of norwhere i start to feel an insane amount of anxiety to the point where i want to freak out and cry. and at that point little things become huge and i overreact about everything. is this even normal? none of my friends with kids felt this, so i have no one to relate to... i just hate it and i feel so awful. does anyone how long will this last??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Health

• I have heard of it lasting 2 yrs. I take Pristiq and it helps a lot. Talk to your doc about getting it under control, it will get worse if left untreated.
    busybee914

Answer by busybee914 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Your friends are full of it. Sorry, but I don't beleive that there is a mother out there that has never felt that anxiety. PPD can last till your hormones level off and your body chemisty returns to "normal". when does that happen? Well, it can take years if left untreated, and it can take years if treated. It depends on your body. Antidepressents can help with "moods" but its not going to correct any underlying hormonal imbalances. If your estrogen is off, it can affect your seritonin levels. If you adrenal glands are not funtioning apropriatly, it can mess with a ton of stress hormones. Exerciseing (running is the best), and a balanced diet with a good vitamin and mineral supplement will help speed up recovery. Also if your body is deficant in B vitanmins, that can cause depression and mood swings, lack of b12 and vit. C can also cause low iron levels, which can also cause depression.
    Anonymous

• cont from above.....
    also thyroid imbalance can cause mood swings and depression. You should also track yoru cycles, basal body temp and moods. You may find that your mood swings hit during ovulation and the days directly before your periods. Like I said before, estrogen and progestrone levels seem to have an effect on seritonin levels, athough doctors are not sure exactly what that efect is yet.

My ultimat suggestion is to see a Naturpatic Doctor. He won't treat the symptom of your depresion and call it good. He or she will indenify the imbalace and give your supplemnts to help coaxs your body into producing proper hormones at the correct levels. Exercise has been known as the best natrual antidepressent. Run 30-40 min, 3-4 times a week, and you will feel the differance within the first week.
    Anonymous

• It sounds to me like you have developed an anxety disorder, which is commonly an aspect of PPD. As someone who has been there and done that (boy have I been there and done that!) let me tell you that this is not going to just up and go away. That's the difference between PPD and baby blues - baby blues go away without treatment, but PPD doesn't. Medication can be a useful tool to manage anxiety and depression, but it should be accompanied by some kind of therapy or a comprehensive self-help program. If you're interested in hearing more about how I recovered, drop me a line. I can give you a couple of recommendations.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:13 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My two cents...The PPs above are both exactly on the nose. I was you almost 4 years ago. You have probably acquired anxiety as a side effect of PPD. I was the most outgoing person I knew and could be dressed and out the door with no problem in 10 minutes or less. I became so upset about the simple task of having to go out the front door and 5 minutes away to get food that I couldn't even get in the shower! I would sit down wherever I could with my baby and cry to the point of nausea. Please get some help. I do recommend a natural/ homeopathic/ unorthodox.
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 9:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• CONT..
    they are more likely to help you treat the actual cause and not just the symptom. And get some light therapy. Especially this time of year when a mother's hormones need it.and the daylight is decreasing. I know, I sould crazy, but as the others above said, I have oh so been there and done that. Do NOT feel alone. Get on here and chat with someone when you need to. Call someone if you can and just let them here you cry if you have someone. Get a person in your area that knows what it is like to be in your shoes and get them there to help you till you have your health back! Hang on...and if you can't, find someone to hang on for you and hold on to them PLEASE!
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 9:34 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Have you thought about taking some vitamins? I went through that myself. Let know if you need more info on that. i know some great natural vitamins.
    SaferAtHome

Answer by SaferAtHome at 12:26 AM on Oct. 14, 2008