How to tell a child about a miscarriage?

My SD's mother called me today telling me that she had just has a miscarriage and that she wants me to tell my SD. Her mother lives in Texas, we are Pennsylvania. Her mother didn't want to tell her over the phone nor did she want to wait until Christmas, which is when they will see each other next. How do I go about explaining what happened without scaring her? She's 8 and extrememly sensitive.

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would just let her know that her Mommy is not having a baby any more. Then if she asks specific questions then you might give her some more information. Sometimes our bodies do not work perfectly or sometimes there is something wrong with baby so it could not stay in Mommy's tummy. Once you let her know that if she has any more specific questions maybe you should leave it up to a phone call with her Mother that you can sit next to her and support her through.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• How far along was she?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Set up skype with the mom. You and sd have a conversation with mom. That way mom can still tell her, but you are there for extra support. I don't think you should have to break the news yourself.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 1:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think melbornj said it best.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Did she already know about the pregnancy? I never had to explain my miscarriage to the kids because I never told them I was pregnant (thankfully) but I would have just told them there was something wrong with the baby and that it had died. My kids aren't overly sensitive, though. They've had to deal with deaths in the family so the understand the concept.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Are y'all religious? That would affect how I told.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2010