Have you ever hosted?

Any of you ever hosted an Exchange student? We did last year. I did not know how hard it was going to be until she was here. Always had to get on her for helping around the house, Getting her homework done, taking a shower everday. Not too long of a list but it was a tiring time. Another kid that thought she knew more then us as the host parents. She was an absolutely smart student, but very secretive. We actually had to ground her like we would ground our own kids.

Airforce3mom

Asked by Airforce3mom at 1:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I haven't, but I thought it might be interesting... at least it hopefully made you appreciate how you raised your child better! ;)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had several exchange students when I was in high school (which I just graduated in 08' lol) and they were all pretty good. We only had one that was "bad" and she was no worse than me. My mom grounded us both for sneaking out one night but it was all in good fun. You must've just got a lazy one, lol, but its not like all teens are the same and that goes for every nationality. Where was she from? We had one from Japan and she took a shower everyday but she would run a little bit of water then turn it off to wash then turn it on to rinse. She was very good at conserving water thats for sure. I thought they were GREAT learning experiences and I still remain friends with them (we had 6 from my 8th grade year till I graduated) and plan on doing it when my kids get older.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 1:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have a good friend who takes exchange students every year. I think it's kind of a coin toss...sometimes she gets a bad one, but usually they are good. I think it would be such a neat experience getting to see what someone from another culture is like, and getting to share your culture with them.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010